PDA

View Full Version : "Thread Read" markers?

Paratima
02-13-2008, 08:47 AM
I have "stay logged on" set. Running Winders XP & latest Firefox.

I come in & read all the latest. I even use the Quick Link for "Mark Forums Read". I close Firefox and do other stuff.

Re-open Firefox, visit the forum and lo, there are all the threads I just read and marked as "Read", clambering for my attention again.

What am I missing here? Is there something I am doing or not doing? How does this work, anyway? Are the "Read" flags set in my cookies or something else on my end that's getting cleared? I be confused. :confused:

Bok
02-13-2008, 09:04 AM
It is cookie/inactivity based, though I never seem to have a problem with it, so am not sure exactly what causes it..

However I can switch the setting to use the database instead. It's a little more cpu intensive (though I doubt that's an issue). Let me switch it and give it a go and report back...

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.
Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.
Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

I've switched from 1 -> 3
Bok

LAURENU2
02-13-2008, 09:25 AM
OK Now some of the read markers say unread for me But Thats OK
I will just blame Paratima for it :lmao:

Bok
02-13-2008, 09:29 AM
I *think* initially it's probably ignoring any cookie based ones you had. It should be fine from now on..

but yeah, we can always blame Paratima :p

Bok :D

Paratima
02-13-2008, 10:26 PM
So beat me, already! Been there, done that. :whip: Just hold the weggies! :weggy:

I'll check it over the next couple of days.

Thanks, Bok.

IronBits
02-14-2008, 12:30 AM
It reset mine and it is now working normally. :cheers:

That Paratima, I'll tell ya :swear: :Pokes: :jester:

gopher_yarrowzoo
02-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah some people ya just gotta watch (time to find the red dress :P)

Paratima
02-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Bok,

Seems to be working much better. Don't know why I was having so much trouble with it. Anyway, I'm in the middle of building a Linux server (openSUSE 10.3) to ride herd on all my XP boxen, network drives, etc. So, I'll be distracted for a few days trying to get all this gigabit stuff working.

Thanks for the fix! :thumbs:

Les

LAURENU2
02-16-2008, 03:10 PM
So beat me, already! Been there, done that. :whip: Just hold the weggies! :weggy:

I'll check it over the next couple of days.

Thanks, Bok.

Alright wheres my :whip:
Now my unread markers will not turn off
I guess it is like that old saying
you can't please all the people all the time :harhar: