PDA

View Full Version : Climate Prediction

wysocki1
08-19-2002, 11:19 AM
Have many people registered for climateprediction.com's beta trial?

Paratima
08-19-2002, 11:58 AM
Me.

Supp
08-27-2002, 10:24 PM
Me too.

Chinasaur
08-27-2002, 10:32 PM
moi aussi

Paratima
08-27-2002, 11:02 PM
vous??

Oh. Well. I don't know if it's an indicator, but I sent these folks an email a bit ago, with some modest suggestions, words of encouragement, and the like,... and it came back. :(

Dunno, dunno. Hope it was just an ISP glitch or something. I'll wait another week, I think, and resend.

I'll post results in this thread. If anyone else has a contact, share it with us here. Hmmmm?

Paratima
09-16-2002, 09:23 PM
Did some digging, found the project admin's email and asked him whassup? Here's the reply I received today...
We thank you for your email and apologies for the lack of information. We have recently employed someone to manage the web site and we are currently working on a completely new design to make it easier to navigate and find information. We hope that a preliminary update will be available in the next few weeks.

Of course most of our effort has been on the distributed computing software which has to be substantially more compex than most previous distributed computing projects. Nevertheless it is progressing well and we hope to begin beta-testing in the next couple of months with a public launch due for early next year.

Thank you for your interest.
Dave StainforthGuess we don't have to go about setting up a team site just yet... :cool:

Chinasaur
09-16-2002, 09:28 PM
Damn...next year? been waiting for this one for a year and a half now. :(

Teams probably won't work other than max numbers of users...no results in anything like real time :)

I'll give it a box full time when it does hit tho...

alpha
09-17-2002, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I liked the sound of this project too. Can't wait :sleepy:

FireCracker
09-17-2002, 12:01 PM
Yeah, after looking at the web site I remember I signed up
for the email notification.

That was some number of months ago, I had forgoten about it.

Looks like I will forget about it again before it gets started.

FC

magnav0x
10-16-2002, 01:25 PM
Yeah...I had signed up well over a year ago too. This is one project I would realy have an interest in taking part in.

IronBits
11-07-2002, 09:58 AM
I signed up today :) http://www.climateprediction.rl.ac.uk/users/requirements.htm

To be able to install and run such simulation on your PC, we recommend the following minimum system specifications:

Operating System: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 Professional, or Windows NT 4.0

Processor: Athlon, PII, PIII, PIV

Speed: Min 450MHz. Preferably 700+

Memory: Min 128 MB at this stage. (64MB may be enough but we haven't tested) for use
Of course this will use more electricity which leads to emissions of greenhouse gases. However, the electricity usage is small and we think this problem is sufficiently important to justify it. (Energy use of the experiment.)

Disk space:Need 600MB free to allocate to this experiment.

Internet: Any type of connection needed to (i) download the model and (ii) send us back result at the end of the run.

rus6
11-07-2002, 10:30 AM
I signed up a few months back as well...

PY 222
11-07-2002, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Me will go check it out.

Btw, do we have a team there?

Supp
11-07-2002, 03:26 PM
No, it's still in closed Alpha (October 2002 Alpha testing commenced) but we will have! :thumbs: