PDA

View Full Version : minor Stats Change Request

IronBits
08-21-2002, 01:29 AM
Could you change Top 10 to Top 20 at least?
Individuals who have generated the largest number of structures
The current Top 10 individuals are unreachable by anyone without a cray super computer ;) :rotfl:
/me walks off to find some crackers and cheese :D

pointwood
08-21-2002, 07:59 AM
Here is your answer: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=754&highlight=top10

;)

IronBits
08-21-2002, 09:40 AM
Nope, no answer there.
This request is for Personal, not Team or Corporate effort.
When individuals (Personal) have access to computing power like Howard, DATA, xj10bt, Jodie etc. and there are 10 of these type folks, then Top Ten means nothing to the rest of the folks in the project, because there is no hope of ever getting there.
I guess it doesn't really matter, we can look to 3rd party stats rather than the real Project stats to see where we fit in, and them 800lb gorillas can snicker at each other and pound their chest, knowing that they will be on the top 10 list forever, all by themselves. :|party|:

In this case, it really should say Top Ten Super Computers.
Then create a new Personal Top Ten, remove the Top Ten Super Computers and then you would have a real Top Ten list of the general public, and maybe, just maybe, a few HOME PHARMS might have a chance ;)

pointwood
08-21-2002, 09:53 AM
I still thinks Howards answer in that thread fits your question :)

If they changed it to a top20, then you may have a chance, but what about me? I'll never have a chance getting on that list ;)

Therefore I would like to see a top 200 because then *maybe* I would have a chance ;)

IronBits
08-21-2002, 10:30 AM
ok by me, but, why not a top 1000 while we are being silly? :D
I was just thinking out loud.

I'll be 13th shortly anyways :)
and if you keep FoBoT distracted for another month, I might make it to the Top Ten 800lb Gorilla list ;) :D

PY 222
08-21-2002, 01:23 PM
Actually it will be great if Howard could break down the stats just like what SETI@home did.

There can be a Top 10, a Top 1000, a Top 100 teams and stats according to countries of origin so we can compare which country is producing what.

I know all this stats generation takes up a fairly bit of computing resources, that can be used somewhere else, but if you could, Howard, could you implement something like this to make the project more interesting? :notworthy

Here's to hoping :cheers:

Brian the Fist
08-21-2002, 09:06 PM
I might rewrite some of the stats generation stuff now that we can use SQL (!) so I will take a look at SETI if and when I get around to that (definitely AFTER CASP is finished, in another month).

IronBits
08-21-2002, 10:45 PM
:notworthy Thank you Howard :cheers:

pointwood
08-22-2002, 06:23 AM
:smoking:

The primary thing I would like to see, is to make points belong to a team. Structures you have generated when belonging to a team, should stay with that team if you decide to move to a new team.

Brian the Fist
08-22-2002, 08:54 AM
Yes, Im sure 50% of the users agree with you pointwood, and 50% of them are happy the way it is. That will not be changing, ever. Sorry.

pointwood
08-22-2002, 09:25 AM
Yearh, I was expecting that answer :(
I'm sure there are people that disagree with me, but I don't think it's 50/50. I simply think it is wrong that you are able to "donate" structures to a team and then later say "I don't like you, please return my donation!".

Another thing: Make it possible for other statsengines to uniquely identify the users. I know you care a lot about privacy and that is a good thing. I do believe however, that it should be possible to add a unique ID for each participant. It would solve a lot of problems for the people that creates stats.

MAD-ness
08-22-2002, 07:15 PM
I support leaving stats the way they are in regards to taking points with you.

This just isn't important enough to matter, even if it wouldn't piss off as many people as it pleases.

We all keep crunching on, if someone leaves, crunch more. I really don't think this will be that much of an issue as the project continues to grow. In the future, team changes like those done by KWSN and even like the changes by Data and Terminator (not to imply they were in anyway related to the silly antics of KWSN) won't be anything but a blip in the stats.

runestar
08-25-2002, 03:49 AM
From a logistics point of view its easier keeping the system where you go your stats go with you. It makes things more complicated if you start to try and keep track of these points go here, and these go here... It creates a lot more work both with the project leaders and the servers to keep track of partial records.

I'd like to see some kind of automated clearing of dead records though. If there's no activity for say 1-3 months, the team/individual gets whacked. Except for the individual, if the person is part of an ACTIVE team they won't get removed. Its kind of a pain crawling to the Top 10 over dead bodies, so to speak. =)

TTFN,

RS½

runestar
08-25-2002, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by IronBits
Could you change Top 10 to Top 20 at least?
Individuals who have generated the largest number of structures
The current Top 10 individuals are unreachable by anyone without a cray super computer ;) :rotfl:
/me walks off to find some crackers and cheese :D

Another problem is many people combine forces to reach the Top 10 on individual accounts as well as using multiple computers. There's really no way to sort it at. At what point do you determine what an individual is. One computer, one IP address, etc.?

All things considered, Top 20 wouldn't make that much difference from the Top 10 anyways. There's already an excellent resource to see that anyways at HTTP://www.statsman.org/distributedfolding

TTFN,

RS½

tpdooley
08-25-2002, 04:14 AM
I'd disagree about the lack of use for accounts that haven't produced much if anything for months..
When I joined OCWorkbench, there were 53 of us - and in the last month, we're up to 95? (it's confusing seeing the numbers be different between the personal High Flyers page, the team page, and statsman's pages :)
61% of us are listed as "active". Shedding the inactive members would lose the team folded scores (bad!!!!) - and once someone's climbed from the bottom of the ranks up to 10th, 3rd, etc - they have much more incentive to find ways of keeping that spot and go higher.
If I was part of a 3 person team.. with BrianTheFist and Millenium2001Guy - I'd only be running my computer at home; instead of also upgrading the work computers and running DF on all of them I can - so I can outperform as many of my teammates as possible.. ;)

Gunslinger
08-25-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by tpdooley
If I was part of a 3 person team.. with BrianTheFist and Millenium2001Guy - I'd only be running my computer at home; instead of also upgrading the work computers and running DF on all of them I can - so I can outperform as many of my teammates as possible.. ;)

I'm on a team with one of them (M2K+1) and I find it spurs me on to produce more! :cool:
I can set myself little challenges like "Can I exceed 1/2 of his output today?" :rotfl:

If I was way out in front on a team I would get bored and be tempted to either find a different project :rolleyes: or maybe create another account and start climbing through the team again... :D

runestar
08-25-2002, 01:58 PM

61% of us are listed as "active". Shedding the inactive members would lose the team folded scores (bad!!!!) - and once someone's climbed from the bottom of the ranks up to 10th, 3rd, etc - they have much more incentive to find ways of keeping that spot and go higher.

If you read the post AGAIN and CAREFULLY... you'll see I specifically said unless the individual was part of an ACTIVE team. =)

Don't you feel silly now? ;)

Best,

RS½

tpdooley
08-25-2002, 05:33 PM
What's the difference between a team member climbing through non-active accounts on a team, and a team climbing through nonactive teams in the team standings?

runestar
08-25-2002, 05:49 PM
What's the difference between a team member climbing through non-active accounts on a team, and a team climbing through nonactive teams in the team standings?
The reason for keeping inactive individual accounts that are on active teams is those accounts count toward the team totals.

Inactive teams are just groups of individuals that have been abandoned for whatever reason (lost interest, new accounts, joined other teams, etc.).

BTW, having stats and teams will never be abandoned. No project will not survive purely on those who claim to have no interest in them at all. =)

TTFN,

RS½

markhl
08-26-2002, 01:23 PM
The correct URL for the statsman page is:

http://www.statsman.org/distfoldingstats/ for Java
or http://www.statsman.org/distfoldingstats/html/ for HTML

Mark

runestar
08-26-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by markhl
The correct URL for the statsman page is: