PDA

View Full Version : YoYo @ Home

LAURENU2
03-08-2008, 11:19 AM
http://www.rechenkraft.net/yoyo/

the distributed.net client and runs OGR work units. This project searches for the shortest Optimal Golumb Ruler of the length 25.
On distributed.net stats server this project is registered with a own account. All distributed.net stats will be credited on this.
yoyo@home at distributed.net as participiant and team

YoYo I think you have a typo on you cover page as shown above in bold Should it not ONE or better yet Single

And my spell checker cought this participant as marked in Red above

wirthi
03-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I postet a note to yoyo at the rechenkraft.net forum to look at this issue.

yoyo
03-09-2008, 03:42 AM
I changed both words. Thanks for the hint.
yoyo

BTW: Someone interested to help development on yoyo@home? There a some enhancements possible, e.g. screen saver for the client (C++, boinc api), server side enhancements for more stats (C++, boinc api, sql) and more.

em99010pepe
03-09-2008, 08:30 AM
I still don't understand why "yoyo@home BOINC wrapper" is in the Dnet stats...

Beyond
03-09-2008, 09:11 AM
My understanding of the situation (from several sources within the dnet organization) is they will not be included in the finally stats, much like the Seti Cheaters Purge at the end of Seti 1.

Dnet has not sanctioned the yoyo client, when yoyo was asked by dnet to work within thier client build/porting project, yoyo declined the offer. The yoyo client and wrapper is not an "offical" client, and thier work will be discarded in the end. :thumbs:

em99010pepe
03-09-2008, 09:14 AM
My understanding of the situation (from several sources within the dnet organization) is they will not be included in the finally stats, much like the Seti Cheaters Purge at the end of Seti 1.

Dnet has not sanctioned the yoyo client, when yoyo was asked by dnet to work within thier client build/porting project, yoyo declined the offer. The yoyo client and wrapper is not an "offical" client, and thier work will be discarded in the end. :thumbs:

Good news. Thanks.

alpha
03-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Their work will be discarded, or their stats will be discarded?

If the yoyo@home work is being discarded then people are wasting their time, and they should know that much.

IronBits
03-09-2008, 10:09 AM

Bad news for those that contributed time :(
Good news in that the project will probably last a little longer as we re-do all the work they did. :)

Bok
03-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Personally, unless there are obvious reasons for discarding the work I think that would be very wrong.

I'm not opposed at all to the yoyo client showing up in the stats as an individual, just they should not be part of a team. Disband the team and it would completely ok in my mind.

As an individual it's not really that different to say 'Nebula' or 'Housing and Food Services' in Rosetta.

Bok

LAURENU2
03-09-2008, 12:18 PM
hahaha It is like a team made up of me myself and I :evil:

Beyond
03-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Okay, a slight correction, everything is still up for discussion, no decision has been made. :o

wirthi
03-09-2008, 12:46 PM
The yoyo-client is no seperate client; it simply wraps an (official!) dnet.exe into the boinc system. Due to reasons I don't understand (as I don't know the boinc-system) it is not possible to put the correct user-id into the workunits (that's a problem of dnet, since you cannot change the userid in workunits for reasons of security).

I see no reason NOT to accept the units.

alpha
03-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Dnet has not sanctioned the yoyo client, when yoyo was asked by dnet to work within thier client build/porting project, yoyo declined the offer.

If true, that seems like good enough reason to me.

IronBits
03-09-2008, 09:32 PM
I see no reason NOT to accept the units.
One big reason I can think of is it is not authorized or sanctioned by the DNET project admins. :bang:

wirthi
03-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Well, /me using the client is not authorized either.

Yoyo uses the client without any modifications and does not alter the workunits in any way. I see no reason why their work should count less than ours.

IronBits
03-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Why would anyone want to do this with the worlds best DC client anyways?
Makes no sense to wrap a client that doesn't need it.

alpha
03-10-2008, 09:15 AM

Makes it easier to manage amongst your other BOINC projects.

The only difference between running the client yourself and contributing to Yoyo is that Yoyo uses its own wrapper.

LAURENU2
03-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Makes it easier to manage amongst your other BOINC projects.

The only difference between running the client yourself and contributing to Yoyo is that Yoyo uses its own wrapper.
And you forgot this one YoYo gets all the credit and you get none that I can see :swear:

alpha
03-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Yes, but I mean in terms of what might bother dnet about the whole situation. If the Yoyo project is utilising the official client (which AFAIK it is), surely there is only the wrapper for them to "worry" about.

I see no good reason to discard results from Yoyo if this is the case. Just remove their "team" from the stats (keep the user account), as others have suggested here.

wirthi
03-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I'd see it the other way round. They'r rather a team than a user.

em99010pepe
03-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Makes no sense to wrap a client that doesn't need it.

Totally agree.
Only see that as a human stupidity.
I always say the same thing ever and ever, BOINC is for lazy people and it is the monopoly of distributed computing. It's the easy way to run something on a computer without knowledge the goal of that "something". You click click add add and you have BOINC running...duh!

Bok
03-10-2008, 04:17 PM
sounds like windows :jester:

A lot of people (myself included) like it FOR that reason..

Personally I don't run some of the other clients, because I just don't have time to babysit them, whereas with boinc I can at least run the whole network from one PC /shrug.

Sure, I could rsh/ssh to the linux boxen or vnc/remote desktop to the windows ones, but with boincview I can add a new project to all servers at once etc.. Makes a difference when there is a lot of servers..

IronBits
03-10-2008, 04:37 PM
net start "Seventeen or Bust Service"
is simple, in fact, default is set to run at each re-boot automatically
/me hugs DNET client :D

LAURENU2
03-10-2008, 05:03 PM
When you wrap a client like Dnet with BOINC, Do you get increased CPU overhead and memory use ?
It would seem to me that there would be some control Lag there:rock:

alpha
03-10-2008, 05:05 PM
I'd see it the other way round. They'r rather a team than a user.

Yeah, sorry. That's what I meant. It's a team, not a user.

As for BOINC, I love it. I think it is a step in the right direction. It makes managing resources on different projects simultaneously very easy. Wanting things easier doesn't make you lazy, it just helps you and saves you time! You can use BOINC and still know the deep science behind a project, or you can be the "click click done" user and contribute with no knowledge whatsoever. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Lauren, any overheads caused by BOINC would be negligible.