PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Laptop Overheating

alpage2
03-11-2008, 06:33 AM
I have an old 400Mhz laptop running xubuntu linux, and it was good to discover a distributed computing project that this machine could participate in. I find with most projects that the size of the work units are geared towards modern, reasonably high-spec machines, and my 400MHz relic is unable to finish the work units within the deadlines.

My only problem with the EON project is that it seriously overheats the laptop.
On my high-end desktop I run projects using the BOINC client, and that incorporates a control mechanism so that it can be set to use a pre-defined percentage of the processor time. On the laptop, setting to 60-70% CPU usage I find enough to prevent overheating.

Is it possible to configure the EON client in the same way?

Or if not, is there a way to configure linux to acheive the same end?

Failing all else, are there any other projects out there with linux clients, that have a hope of completing on a 400MHz machine that is typically running for 4 -5 hours per day?

Thanks in anticipation
Alan

Paratima
03-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Unfortunately, there is no way (that I know of) to do what you're asking programatically. However, you might consider getting a laptop cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998492).

There are many of these available on the market, including some with extra USB ports. I use one to cool my laptop running various projects, including EON.

alpage2
03-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Brilliant!

I didn't know such things existed - it has gone straight onto my 'Must Have' list.

:cheers:

Many thanks
Alan

LAURENU2
03-12-2008, 06:14 PM
You must also keep the Air intake ports clean. :Pokes: It would also help to blow out with air the cooling fan, if it is working at all

Paratima
03-14-2008, 09:34 PM
Actually, I'm sure there MUST be programs floating around to control crunching run-times. Just hate to have one more thing running. I'm a minimalist when it comes to programs and OS thingies hanging about in the background.

These fans work so well, though. Why go anywhere else? :D

Until you get a fan, make sure you keep the laptop up on a slant, on its feet. This promotes airflow under the unit, which is where the heat is.

Helix_Von_Smelix
03-16-2008, 05:13 PM
i put mine on a cold tiled floor when not using it. Never on carpet as air intake at the bottom

:thumbs: