PDA

View Full Version : Checksumming?

runestar
08-26-2002, 01:17 AM
Brian,

I was curious to know how DF recovers from a crash? Its very difficult to tell since almost always it restarts at 0 structures created... Since it doesn't display your total work on the project, there is no way to compare between the last upload and what's happening now.

In the future clients, would it be possible to include an area on the clients for total work contributed?

Best,

RuneStar½
PBB

Brian the Fist
08-26-2002, 08:47 AM
It tells you how many data sets are currently buffered (i.e. complete but not yet uploaded).

runestar
08-26-2002, 11:49 AM
Well, assuming the servers are up to speed, then that's not really useful considering that if and when a crash occurs, its usually within a data set.

As I said, when this happens the structure count begins back at zero again and as far I can tell doesn't stop until it hits the upload number, at which point there is exactly 1/1 set uploaded. It does not appear that when the client restarts there is any work uploaded.

I was thinking that the filelist.txt might be a good place to write out a checkpoint. Currently it doesn't seem to utilize it very much. The screensaver seems to take better advantage of it than the ASCII client.

Also, by total I mean TOTAL structures...all work contributed. Of the projects I've tested out, they all seem to have some form of telling you the total contributions on the client.

Best,

RuneStar½
PBB

Brian the Fist
08-27-2002, 11:20 AM
You can view your total contribution by logging in under 'high flyers' on our web site.

runestar
08-28-2002, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
You can view your total contribution by logging in under 'high flyers' on our web site.
I know that... but that means you have to fire up the web browser, connect to the internet (if you are on dial-up), goto DF website, and then login.... every time you want to check the supposed current stats. If you are on a modem, that's a lot of wasted time to just check the current stats especially waiting for everything on the page to load up.

It seems the server time required to read the current stats based on your current finished upload would be negligble. And of course there is the whole funky nature of the web servers not being able to decide what stats to show. I just went to check them about 6 minutes after they were supposedly updated and got the latest set on the second refresh... third and fourth got me the previous, and then the fifth gave me the new stats again.

One thing I have NOT seem anybody do is list the team stats in the client. Might be a nice first if nobody else has done it.

RuneStar½
PBB

runestar
08-28-2002, 03:06 AM
Why do I feel like I am going in circles when I ask questions??

RS½