PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Louie

jjjjL
08-31-2002, 12:10 AM
I don't know what to say. I always intended to make a forum for my project... I just thought that *I* would be the one to make it. Thanks Colin. ;)

SB is a very small project right now for several reasons. The main reason is that the client, although doing completely useful work for the project, is well.... unfinished. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH. Yes, Dave and I know that the client has shortcomings. The current version is v0.9.2 because it isn't really out of beta. I appreciate all the user support we get but at the same time, everyone working with us needs to understand upfront that until a little more work is finished on the client/server, you cannot expect a perfect program.

The appeal to running this project (right now) is two fold as I see it:

1) It is small, so you can get on the leaderboard easily

2) One degree of seperation from the project creator. (I'm guessing the creator of d.net doesn't personally respond to forum questions these days. ;))

Again, if you want stablitiy (and I don't blame you if you do), run SETI or d.net for now. I want users but not if they'll be unhappy. In a month or so, I hope to have the next version done... at which point I will stop shying users away and actually start recruiting them.

There are plans to add checkpointing. This is my #1 priority. There are plans to make the cEM/s and blk/sec displays more stable.

A new website design is finished but hasn't been deployed... saving it to coincided with first v1 client. We will also move the server again at some point. OH, and the FAQ is completely out of date.

Those are my caveats. I'll talk to you all later. I'm gonna be busy this week moving back to Ann Arbor. Until then, I leave you with this: don't flame our project... we know it has flaws. Specific bug reports (n value, end of your log, etc) are welcome along with program suggestions. I'll let you know what I think and what I can do as things go.

Thanks for using SB.

--
Louis Helm
lhelm@umich.edu

FoBoT
08-31-2002, 12:42 AM
hi

ColinT
08-31-2002, 12:43 AM
Louie,

Thanks a bunch for posting her and replying to my email. First, pleaew understand that no one is flaming your project:) Everyone here and at Ars are professional DC experts. We know what betas are like:) We know what a well run program is like also.

For only being at 0.92, this is a darn good client. The thing we appreciate is guys like you who try to make things better and have conversations with us. That really matters - more than you might know.

I'm sure you will get it all running right in the end. We stand ready to help you debug. Thanks!

Colin