PDA

View Full Version : Looking for meaningful existence

jasong
05-13-2008, 11:48 PM
First, let me say that, despite the title, there is no emergency going on between my ears. Well, no more than usual. Anyway...

Let's say you have an individual, we'll call him jasong(I prefer to talk about this in the third person, though I'd have trouble explaining why. I guess it just helps me deal with the problem better.)

A few facts about this person: This person is a very erratic, though non-violent individual. He is capable of learning a great deal, but the more responsibility he is given, the more likely he is to fail, and fail intentionally. He has a social anxiety disorder, which he undeniably uses as a crutch, more so in his own head than with other people, but it's utilized way too much either way. He is undisciplined and lonely. He badly wants to learn the skills needed to get a tech job, but inevitably fails at classes within 3 weeks to 2 months after starting them, though he may be doing extremely well 2/3rds of the way to the failure.

His mother says he was considered a miracle child up until the time he started attending the first grade. When he was home, he was well-behaved, calm, and eager to learn. Despite this, many of his teachers thought of him as retarded. He almost always did well on intelligence tests, scoring extremely high, many times so high that the margin of error rules used with the test placed him high enough that he was smarter than anywhere from 95% to 100% of the people.

He is a contrarian to an extreme degree, he recently made his first stock investment, and it was with AMD. There is something he finds very appealing about investing in a company that is treading water, while people in general seem to be predicting bad times ahead.(I think AMD will come out of it, just not for at least 3 years or so) He loves to examine the opposing view for anything. When people talk about how horrible Hitler was, he mentions the first European television broadcast and the Volkswagen. When people say how they feel about global warning, he chooses to verbally examine the opposing, or minority view of the person(s).

He believes the weak and abused in society are the ones most deserving of attention. He is a firm believer in cheering for the underdog, whether it is a "crank" on Mersenne Forum, or a so-called elitist Obama.

He makes his life about other people to the point where it is harmful. He believes that the reason he fails at tech classes is because he isn't able to come up with a concrete reason that what he's doing isn't just for himself.

What do think I should do? I am 33 years old , and I am living the way you would think a 17 year old would. (I mean in terms of my income and the fact I live with my parents)

IronBits
05-14-2008, 12:20 AM
My suggestion is for you to seek professional help and advice.
Do not seek it from forums, as most of us/we/them should be seeking professional help, but won't admit it yet. ;)
Blind leading the blind, if you get my meaning. :o
Do some sole searching...
find something you like to do...
get good at it...
and stick to it...

LAURENU2
05-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Get married that will give you new and better problems to deal with :slap:

alpha
05-14-2008, 02:43 AM
What do think I should do? I am 33 years old , and I am living the way you would think a 17 year old would. (I mean in terms of my income and the fact I live with my parents)

Do whatever you want to do. Life is for living the way you want to. Who cares if you're living like a 17 year old if you're happy? If you're not happy then do whatever it takes to change that. It's your life and only you can live it.

Get married that will give you new and better problems to deal with :slap:

Better problems? Not sure about that. :) However, that might be an idea since women will consume an incredible amount of your time, effort and money. You won't have time to stop and ponder your existence!

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Maybe you think that we all have perfect lives. The truth is far from that.

We mostly all make the best of a bad job each day.
You make it home alive, bills paid, wife happy (ish), kids safe at home, then another successful day.

We are all trying to keep up with life. What less TV and listen to the radio more

:cheers:

Bok
05-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Maybe you think that we all have perfect lives. The truth is far from that.

We mostly all make the best of a bad job each day.
You make it home alive, bills paid, wife happy (ish), kids safe at home, then another successful day.

:cheers:

Amen to that.

Hobbes
05-14-2008, 09:45 AM
A couple random thoughts for you. I wouldn't make them your life's credo, but hopefully there is some wisdom or merit to them.

It sounds like you enjoy doing for others, or at least have some measure of compassion. Have you thought of looking for volunteer opportunities, or even seeking a job in such an area? Yes, it wouldn't pay much, but there's a *lot* more to life than money. Doing for others can be *very* rewarding. If there aren't any such opportunities in your area, perhaps you could teach computers? You could motivate yourself by telling yourself that you need to know this information to be able to pass along - think of all the lives you could impact for good.

As others have said, nobody has a perfect life. We all go through ordeals, and just when you think, "Hey, I've made it!" something else pops up. If you can, try not to think about getting through situation X, think about ways to keep a positive attitude while going through situation X. Your mental health and lack of ulcers will thank you. And no, you don't have to go through situation X alone. Try to find somebody you can trust to confide in. Sometimes just getting something off your chest can greatly improve your outlook.

You do seem like an intelligent person. You seem to have a good grasp on the details of many prime projects. Please do not take this the wrong way, but is it possible you have a hint of autism? I don't say this to try to belittle you, but because some of the things you said raised flags in my head. Regardless, I think there is plenty of hope for you! Social anxiety can be overcome, and so can self-destructive behaviors. (Trust me, I've been through a lot and have seen even more!) It's almost like a DC project. You're not going to get a solution in a day, but if you keep doing little bits daily, in 6 months or a year you should be able to look back and see real progress. And again, having a confidant can be a real help as well.

Best wishes to you! We're all pulling for you and I'd be happy to share more of my experiences through PM or e-mail.

Guilherme
05-14-2008, 01:29 PM
We all have problems, the difference is the way we face and try to solve them. Do not let problems overwhelm you.

Try to seek for professional help (a psychologist, for instance). I think it will help you. You could also talk with your parents, if you feel comfortable about asking them for help.

Reading your posts in this forum, I see that you seem to be an intelligent person. Try to find something that you like to do, something you are good with, and put some effort on it (in a job or in the classes you mentioned). Be organized in this effort, and take each step at a time.

I wish you good luck, and I'm sure you will learn to deal with your problems, and have a good life, each day at a time.

jasong
05-14-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm thinking about giving college another go. When I finish writing this I'm going to check to see when the second summer session starts for the local college(University of Central Arkansas, UCA, recently declared the leading pirate(p2p) college)

No idea what I´m going to take, but I know I want my career to involve computers and/or research. Optimally, I want to find ways to do things cheaper. What things, you ask? What have you got? ;)