PDA

View Full Version : Iplayer

PCZ
05-14-2008, 04:46 AM
Any of you use the BBC Iplayer service ?
What do you think of it ?

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-14-2008, 05:45 AM
have used it loads.
It,s ok no problems.

But in the settings make sure the upload (or what ever its called) is de-selected. otherwise you then share the download with other people who want it. kind of like bit torrent

:cheers:

alpha
05-14-2008, 07:54 AM
I am reluctant to try it after the steaming pile that 4oD is. Tempted now.

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-14-2008, 07:58 AM
If you downlod the file, best way. 500-600MBs. Very slow. i allow 24 hrs.

It seems to take a few k bandwidth from lots of people. this is what takes the time. Most shows are streamed too. I like to download them

:cheers:

Shish
05-14-2008, 01:49 PM
I've been using it since the beta when the pain in the ass wasn't the player but the crap company chosen to run it and their torrent of emails demanding a review of just about every program. Otherwise the actual iPlayer is no probs, just the time it can take to get a prog. Streaming isn't too good but passable on a low traffic 6-8Gbps network. I also use Sky's service which uses similar almost identical software but they have thousands of movies (well maybe several hundred) and their download is good. Progs on both have a shelf life by when they have to be used.
I switch the actual service to manual instead of auto so it just runs when I use it and doesn't auto start every boot.
As said otherwise, it seems to be more of a torrent service than a straight download so watch your settings as my invariable 768kbps upload speed was saturated causing some browsing and net problems till I sorted it out.
Not used any of the Chan3/4/5 whatever services yet or any of the many pay ones around nowadays as there are loads of free tv progs available on the net from several sites.