PDA

View Full Version : Gridfinity

jasong
05-24-2008, 01:09 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that Iīm intending to try out the for profit Gridfinity project. According to what Iīve read, it uses your computer to crunch projects, then pays you via Paypal. There seems to be some confusion in the DC community as to whether or not it can be used with the regular BOINC client. They DO have their own BOINC client, but itīs possible theyīll allow the normal one, ie the Berkeley one.(If itīs a BOINC client that doesnīt originate in Berkeley, wouldnīt that make it an OINC client? ;) )

Itīs going to be 2 hours before I force myself to go to bed, so expect an update in the next hour or so.

Edit: No tasks downloaded, but my share is at 1 billion, while the shares for my other projects total less than 4000. Iīll keep an eye on it.

A few comments:

(1) It uses a virtual machine to do work units, so thereīs a good chance you wonīt know what youīre crunching

(2) This project involves real money, so donīt use a password thatīs commonly used somewhere else. If someone steals the password to your other BOINC accounts, itīs no big deal. On this project, you could not only lose credit, but actual money. Not sure how much they pay, though. Thereīs a calculator, but I havenīt played with it yet.

jasong
06-04-2008, 12:08 AM
I guess the guy keeps the site up because he likes to think positive.