PDA

View Full Version : The "I'm off the Net and might want a favor" thread

jasong
06-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Good topic, huh? ;)

I'm not permanently off the Internet. WHAT? Who's groaning? Is someone in pain? ;) It's been discovered that my quad-core has something FUBAR which is keeping the fans from running on the power supply. The new power supply costs $113 an only has a $30 rebate, so there are going to be some holes in the walls at foot level if my quad-core has anything else expensive fail before 2009 shows up. ;)

If anyone here uses IRC, please contact Chuckpa on freenode.net (He isn't on all the time, unfortunately) and tell him I'll be back online Tuesday or Thursday probably. Tuesday, if I purchase a laptop.

Also, if anyone has any good ideas about what would be a good cheap laptop, with wireless capabilities and a relatively easy Ubuntu install, I'd appreciate an email at jgoatc@conwaycorp.net . That's my dad's address, so please put "To: Jason" in the subject. :) All I really need is a laptop that can display pages well(in Linux) and can play video without a lot of effort. In this case, the word effort refers to how many watts are used to play the video. (divX files, if it matters)

Lastly, and I'm going to post in that other topic when I'm online, I've talked to someone about that super-duper AMD cpu, the one that costs about $1200. Apparently, the board it's supposed to be installed in costs about $10,000 and can take 8 of the chips. I'm hoping LaurenU2 will be wanting to get in the AMD superchip timeshare business. The total cost of a fully decked out board will be about $20,000 or so, which is the reason I think timeshares will be a good idea. If not Lauren, than someone trustworthy. If you've heard anything about that $10,000 AMD board and people wanting to combine assets, please tell me. Even if it's other teams. :)

Hope to see you guys soon.