PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading BOINC

IronBits
08-11-2008, 02:52 AM
I just upgraded the Boinc client from 5 something to 6 something.
Lost all my work, lost the list of all my attached projects.
Basically, when you upgrade, it's a NEW install.
The programmers have decided it was a wonderful and marvelous addition to seperate out the data and program folders, so be careful.
I install all my DC related stuff to \dcprojects\Project name
So I had to choose advanced, it won't let you keep the programs and data files in the same location, like it used to, so now I have to use
\dcprojects\BOINC for the program files (big damn deal)
\dcprojects\BOINC\DATA\ for where the DATA is

In hindsight, I should have used
\dcprojects\BOINC\Apps for the program files
\dcprojects\BOINC\ for DATA, maybe I might not have lost everything. :dunno:

bastages I tell ya! You have been warned :jabber:

:swear::wife:

IronBits
08-11-2008, 03:05 AM
Well, by doing the hindsight \apps thing above, I was able to get back everything in the 32bit boxen, but not the 64bit boxen :cry:

alpha
08-11-2008, 04:24 AM
Hmm, this page (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Release_Notes) currently describes some of the changes and what should happen if you install v6 over v5. Specifically:

Separate data directory

5.10 and older versions of BOINC stored data and program files in the same place - typically C:\Program Files\BOINC. This caused security problems. 6.2 stores data files in a separate directory. When 6.2 is installed on top of an older version, it "migrates" the data files from the old to the new directory.

I guess it didn't go like that for you though. :(

IronBits
08-11-2008, 09:32 AM
If you have to read something before you upgrade, it's not an upgrade. ;)

And, don't forget to put that trailing \ on the end of the path!
On the 64bit version, I used \dcprojects\BOINC\DATA
when finished, I looked to see what it did, or didn't do and I found
\dcprojects\BOINC\DATA\DATA\DATA\DATA\DATA\DATA\DATA\...
after going about 50 subs deep, I gave up and just deleted ...\BOINC\DATA\DATA
uninstalled and re-installed it, sheesh.

Excellent programming... :jester:

Bender10
09-06-2008, 07:34 PM
I also just did what I THOUGHT would be an 'UpGrade' to BOINC 6.3.10.

Oooops..Anyway, I ran it not planning to perform a fresh INSTALL...Lost some wu's and projects.

Guess I should have read the label on that can before I opened it...:bang:...Sheesh.

Chuck
10-24-2008, 10:42 PM
It comes up as pre-release..... and installing direct isn't any better. Version 6 has issues. So much for the FC7 disclaimer on the web site at UCB. It be 'broken'... period.

I yanked it back out... the Boinc Mangler, err Manager cannot talk to a client or even start a client... MOST importantly, you can't use the documented project manager to attach to a new project.

I assume the CLI version would work if I wanted to fuss, but was to annoyed by then. BOINC will wait until AFTER OGR finishes completely... THEN I will figure it out and set it up.... split directories (as recommended and default).

I will report on the trailing / for directory names, etc.

Why am I not surprised ????

C.