PDA

View Full Version : Minimal system requirements

MarcyDarcy
09-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Today when i was reading the DF FAQ ( :rotfl: ) i noticed something that isn't true

Why can't I run the program on a Pentium I?

Unfortunately, the Distributed Folding client (text or screensaver) cannot be run on a Pentium I, as it does not conform to the necessary system requirements.

When i started participating in this project (FEB 2002) i only had one Pentium 100 with 64 mb memory in my herde. So euh that aint possible. Am i a miracle? :rolleyes:

Bow before me :notworthy

runestar
09-23-2002, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't exactly recommend running the screensaver on a Pentium unless you got a graphics card capable of handling OpenGL else it'd be dog slow.

However, if you go back through some of the posts in the last couple months you;ll find some people actually have run it on older systems using the ASCII (Command-Line) client. You can actually complete a reasonable amount of work with your Pentium say as versuses SETI or Folding which could take days to complete one work unit.

I think the general idea is because of the nature of the project, throwing a lot of firepower at it in attempting to create as many structures as possible (specifically up to 1 billion) to see how accurate their prediction algorithims are. So its actuall really a preference so they don't sit here for the next 6 months running the current phase. ;)

There's also the idea that its designed to run on your spare CPU cycles, and based on that idea, it would greatly extend the time to return work and possibly have a greater impact on the user's system performance. Although truth be known, I think Howard has been quietly and unofficially curting those with powerful machines or access to lots of systems. It seems like there are a lot more heavy hitters on here than some other projects out there... that's just my opinion though. =)

Its not necessarily a bad thing... its alternative approach to the SETI@home lets get everybody and their dog and cat (yes even cats!) to run this on their systems is a good idea for a younger project with a smaller base of users.

TTFN,

RuneStar½

beefdart
09-23-2002, 06:52 PM
for the most part the df text client runs fine on a p100

i have two of them running in the corner right now with FreeBSD on them, they are just backup mail and dns and fold about 10k a day each

:smoking:

MAD-ness
09-23-2002, 10:03 PM
The minimum system requirement is meant for as a cut-off for support than as an indicator of some fundamental inability of the client to operate on a machine with a frequency under a certain level.

If you want to run machines that are below the system requirements you are free to do so, but don't expect official support if you have problems with them.

Of course, if you are so hard-core that you want to power on a P-100 and crunch with it, instead of using it as a doorstop like any normal computer user would, then you should be able to deal with any problems you might run into without much difficulty.
:)

Brian the Fist
09-24-2002, 10:00 AM
Plus the Windows version will not work on a Pentium I since it contains 686 instructions, and the sys. requirements are basically for those people since us UNIX hackers will try and download anything without bothering with instructions anyways ;)

Paratima
09-24-2002, 11:30 AM
Instructions? :confused:

runestar
09-25-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
Plus the Windows version will not work on a Pentium I since it contains 686 instructions, and the sys. requirements are basically for those people since us UNIX hackers will try and download anything without bothering with instructions anyways ;)
ROFLMAO!

You do realize now that you said that you can't get mad at anyone for not RTFM? ;) You can still SIGH, but no getting mad. We have have you on record now. :D

RuneStar½

Starfish
10-02-2002, 04:36 PM
Right now my FreeBSD based router, a Pentium 100MHz with 48MB EDO is running the client without any problems as well..

It's not fast, but everything helps

:D

bubbadog
10-02-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist

:rotfl: That's not limited to UNIX hackers, Howard...happens to most who possess a Y chromosome! :D