PDA

View Full Version : Would like to try ECCP

MTP
09-28-2002, 12:30 AM
Went to the site to downlaod the client. Thought I would give it a whirl to see have it ran.

Notice the service for smp machines, but the gui version did not mention anything about smp capabilities. Any tircks to running this on a duallie?

Also notice the "enhance" cleints. Running a old dual PIII 1G machine, any pointers on the best cleint to use?

FoBoT
09-28-2002, 01:28 AM
there could be an enhanced dually version, but until you find it, just use the one from the site, i use it on all w2k/xp boxen where i want to install as a service

http://www.nd.edu/~cmonico/eccp109/downloads/eccp109-130sv.zip

Smiling Carnivore
09-28-2002, 02:52 AM
Hello MTP. Long time no see. :D

If you are looking for the simplest solution, installing the smp client as a service is the way to go. For best results, however, the genereal consensus is to install two clients and set the affinity to either processor. IIRC, the smp client only produces 70-80% if two individual clients.

MTP
09-28-2002, 10:06 PM
SC-

Yeah its been awhile, work has had me traveling abit. Spent the summer in Gaeta, Italy. What a blast.

You mention install 2 clients and setting the affinity, sounds just how I used to run G@H. I assume you meant running 2 of the gui cleints.

I'll download it tonight and see what happens.

Thanks for the info.

FireCracker
09-29-2002, 12:14 AM
I assume you meant running 2 of the gui cleints.

I'm not an expert at any thing but I have read posts where
they have said that you can't run two gui clients at the same
time. One GUI and one CLI. Or two CLI.

I like the statsaholic CLI client. It is hard coded to run for
two hours and then upload what ever it has done.

The way I do it is I start it at about ten or fifteen mins before
the hour that is divided by two before the update.

As an example, I live in Houston, the same time zone as ND.
So I want to make sure that my client uploads DP just before
12 Noon. So I might start my client at 7:45 am. That way it
uploads at 9:45 and 11:45, thereby making sure all my DP's
get counted on the next stats update.

Cool, huh?

FC

alpha
09-29-2002, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by FireCracker

I like the statsaholic CLI client. It is hard coded to run for
two hours and then upload what ever it has done.

I'm not using the statsaholic client, and yet I see

#SEND_INTERVAL=hh:mm:ss

in my eccp109.ini. Looks like what you're talking about.

Supp
09-29-2002, 06:01 AM
Yup, but don't forget to remove #

FireCracker
09-30-2002, 02:00 PM
I'm not using the statsaholic client, and yet I see

#SEND_INTERVAL=hh:mm:ss

in my eccp109.ini. Looks like what you're talking about.

I just checked my .ini file and it has not been uncommented. Meaning the "#'s" are still there.

And I'm using the Statsaholic CLI.

So I think that means that the Statsaholic CLI client is "hard coded" to do the uploading at 2 hours.

I think in this context "hard coded" means that the .exe is compiled to do the uploading at 2 hours.

Besides I like the way the Statsaholic client shows an average and a peak iteration speed.

The other clients may do this as well, but when I was looking at clients I needed an AMD one and found the Stats one and haven't found the need to change.

FC

alpha
09-30-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by FireCracker

Besides I like the way the Statsaholic client shows an average and a peak iteration speed.

The other clients may do this as well, but when I was looking at clients I needed an AMD one and found the Stats one and haven't found the need to change.

The client I'm using shows average and peak i/s. It is also faster than the statsaholic AMD optimized client(s).

http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~brazier/programs/eccp109w.zip

FireCracker
09-30-2002, 03:56 PM
Alpha,

Thanks for the tip.

I downloaded it and started it up.

Just for the few mins that I watched it the MAX its/ps was
slower than the average for the Statsaholic CLI on my AMD.

But I will watch it for a day and report back to you.

Thanks again.

FC

FireCracker
10-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Alpha,

I checked in on it from time to time for the rest of the day.
I never saw the iterations per second get any faster.

MAX its/ps was slower than the average for the Statsaholic CLI

So I stopped the client and went back to the Statsaholic CLI
late last night.

Keep crunching
FC

alpha
10-01-2002, 12:11 PM
..Strange. I've yet to find a machine where the client I suggested is not the fastest. Out of curiosity, what are you running it on? And also, what version of the statsaholic client is it? (got a URL handy?)

FireCracker
10-01-2002, 02:20 PM
My main box is K7VMA which is a mobo with a VIA VT8365 chipset.
I have a Duron 1.3 Ghz installed which I'm OCing to 1.404 Ghz.
I have 192 MB ram installed and running W2K Pro.

Besides crunching all I do with the machine is email and surf.

StatsAholic (http://www.statsaholic.com/eccp/index.php?page=clients) client. I'm using the one near the top of the page. Athlon optimized and dated Jan 12, 2002. As I remember the download comes with the windows and the CLI client.

Be careful if you download and unzip it in a active directory because it has all those secondary files in the zip.

Crunch On
FC

alpha
10-01-2002, 06:09 PM
I tested on a plain XP 1700+ with 256MB RAM on XP Pro. I didn't have the chance to try it while the machine was totally idle, but from what I could tell it was practically identical in performance to the client I had previously mentioned. Oh well, no harm done :p Thanks for going through this, it was interesting.

alpha
10-02-2002, 08:45 AM
Hmm, I've been using the statsaholic client all morning and I came across a flaw. If I leave it running alongside dnetc, task manager says each is using 50% CPU, which is correct and expected. However, the statsaholic client is still reporting ~1,000,000it/s which is double what it should be when only using 50%. OK, so it doesn't do any harm, but it is misleading.

pizzaking
10-04-2002, 05:20 PM
A few weeks late...but I have a script that will allow you to easily install the ECCp-109 clients as a service on single, dual and quad processor machines. You can find more info here:

http://www.apgreenwood.co.uk/eccpinstall/eccpinstall.htm

Condor
10-04-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by pizzaking
A few weeks late...but I have a script that will allow you to easily install the ECCp-109 clients as a service on single, dual and quad processor machines. You can find more info here:

http://www.apgreenwood.co.uk/eccpinstall/eccpinstall.htm

Hey, thanks a bunch. In fact, I have already used it quite a bit. It works great. Can you tell me though, if there is a way that I could not have to set it up in C:\ECCP but rather another directory ? Perhaps by editing some of the files. I tried already and with bad results.

pizzaking
10-04-2002, 06:10 PM
It is possible to use a different directory (I myself use a different directory that I use for all DC projects).

You need to make sure that all references to the directory are changed in the install.cmd file and the eccp.reg file. I use the find and replace tool in notepad to do it to make sure I don't miss any. Also need to make sure to use two \'s when specifying directories in the eccp.reg file.

If you cannot get it to work then fire me an e-mail with what you want to use and I'll create a custom install script for you.

pk

Condor
10-04-2002, 10:39 PM
Ah, could have been those two \s, I bet I only used one. I'll give it a go and see what I come up with.

Thanks, pk

IronBits
10-06-2002, 09:57 AM
What happened to FireCracker, ether and Mitsu? :(
I don't see them this morning.