PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favourite browser

dnar
01-14-2002, 11:34 PM
I am amazed to see so many Mozilla/Galeon users in this group, especially amoung the web developers (bassed on discussions with IB and Dyyryath in IRC). On our team, I am one of two people using a browser other than IE!

I am still amazed at the number of IE users that beleive IE does a better job of sticking to standards that Mozilla, and for that matter dont understand the difference between Netscrape (4.x) and Mozilla.

Post your favourite browser and please comment as you see fit. :D

ColinT
01-14-2002, 11:58 PM
My favorite is NOT IE6 but I must use it. My real favorite is IBrowse. It lacks features but it is blindlingly fast.

Long Live The Amiga!

IronBits
01-15-2002, 02:28 AM
In WinBlows, I use IE 5.5. In a real OS, like *nix, I use Galeon.

The poll is fubar because it didn't take into account both OS worlds... I voted Galeon assuming you were talking about a real OS. ;)
There is another very important one that was left out, ColinT's :D

dnar
01-15-2002, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by IronBits
In WinBlows, I use IE 5.5. In a real OS, like *nix, I use Galeon.

The poll is fubar because it didn't take into account both OS worlds... I voted Galeon assuming you were talking about a real OS. ;)
There is another very important one that was left out, ColinT's :D
Hehehe. Only so much you can do with 10 poll options. :D Also hard, is the fact that some of those browsers are multi-platofrm (Mozilla, Netscape and Opera).

For those not *nix inclined, both Galeon and Konqueror utilise the Mozilla render engine "Gecko" and therefore require Mozilla to be installed.

pointwood
01-15-2002, 05:03 AM
Mozilla rules.

Yearh, Opera may be faster and require less of your system,but Mozilla rocks when it comes to support for standards - IE6 included.

Furthermore - I like frequent browser upgrades :D

dnar
01-15-2002, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by pointwood
Mozilla rules.

Yearh, Opera may be faster and require less of your system,but Mozilla rocks when it comes to support for standards - IE6 included.

Furthermore - I like frequent browser upgrades :D
I was a happy Opera user for quite a while. Fast, very little CPU utilisation when rendering... (Compare it with Mozilla, you will be surprised).

I gave up my old Opera fav many months ago, it just had too many probs with tables and vBulletin sites!!! Its a shame, it could be very good if only they sorted their standards probs out and adressed some of the network/packet issues.

pointwood
01-15-2002, 09:18 AM
Opera is a really cool browser imho - it was my primary browser for quite some time. It's small and it blazingly fast, however, it does have a lot of problems. Mozilla just does a much better job at rendering most websites. It doesn't matter how fast a browser is, if it can't render the websites properly :(

Opera 6 dissappointed me because it didn't have much needed and improved support for the standards - it should have been called version 5.5 or something like that.

dnar
01-15-2002, 11:06 AM
Opera is a really cool browser imho - it was my primary browser for quite some time. It's small and it blazingly fast, however, it does have a lot of problems. Mozilla just does a much better job at rendering most websites. It doesn't matter how fast a browser is, if it can't render the websites properly :(

Opera 6 dissappointed me because it didn't have much needed and improved support for the standards - it should have been called version 5.5 or something like that.
Agreed. Opera loads very fast when launched, faster than Mozilla and Galeon, but thats not everything....

BTW, did you know you can pre-load most of Galeon into memory, to speed launching of the GUI portion? Add the following to your .Xdefaults or make it a desktop launch icon with :-

nohup galeon -s &

Cuts loading time down by a significant amount.

pointwood
01-18-2002, 08:55 AM
So in about a weeks time, we should have a new release - w00t! :cool:

More info on http://www.mozillazine.org/

mr_mann
01-18-2002, 05:10 PM
as i do not have many linux workstations i do not have
any use of mozilla so i just stick with the simple IE :)
im lazy :D

dnar
01-18-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by mr_mann
as i do not have many linux workstations i do not have
any use of mozilla so i just stick with the simple IE :)
im lazy :D
Mozilla for Windows? :confused:

pointwood
01-19-2002, 09:59 AM
heh - I'm actually sitting here, using Mozilla on this Win2k workstation and it's running pretty good ;)

I currently use Mozilla for browsing, mail, news and irc. It is using quite a lot of memory, but it is getting better all the time.

mr_mann
01-19-2002, 10:32 AM
thats why i said im lazy :D the last thing i installed on this was aol instant messanger :D

pointwood
01-19-2002, 11:52 PM
AOL - arrgh :eek:

CAIN
01-21-2002, 09:55 PM
I've just reloaded Mozilla, and I must say I really like it. My main concern with it was that the ars fora wouldn't display properly (not mozilla's fault), but now it works fine.

dnar
01-21-2002, 10:16 PM
Mozilla 0.98 has branched, and should be released within the next week. I cant wait. :D

If your running Linux and Mozilla, you really should try Galeon, its a pleasant surprise.

Dyyryath
01-21-2002, 10:40 PM
GALEON!!!

Yup, I'm a Galeon fan through and through. I'd have to say IE is my second fave.

Wedge
01-21-2002, 11:16 PM
is mozalla really that good? heh i thought IE was the best out there :(

pointwood
01-22-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Wedge
is mozalla really that good? heh i thought IE was the best out there :( When it comes to support of the W3C standards/recommendations, I believe Mozilla, IE6, Opera and more, all does a pretty good job. I believe Mozilla is the one that has the best support though.

dnar
01-22-2002, 09:52 AM
When it comes to support of the W3C standards/recommendations, I believe Mozilla, IE6, Opera and more, all does a pretty good job. I believe Mozilla is the one that has the best support though.
Not so for Opera, not all of the HTML 4.01 specification is supported. Tables support is lousy, CSS2 is only partially implemented. Look here: http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/
I am really surprised Opera 6 did not bring that much of an improvement in the support and compatibilty area.

I used to love Opera, however changed to Mozilla and then Galeon when Opera 5 for Linux experienced problems with ALL vbulletin sites..... Opera 5 and 6 are fine with vbulletin 2.2.1, but prior to that it just plain sucked! Twas a shame, I did like it.

Mozilla and Galeon are quite processor intensive compared to Opera.

pointwood
01-22-2002, 04:17 PM
Opera has great CSS support AFAIK. I'm not sure IE6 have complete support for HTML4.01, but I know previous versions didn't.

dnar
02-05-2002, 08:52 AM
get it here: http://www.mozilla.org/

pointwood
02-05-2002, 02:57 PM
Been there, done that :)

So far it runs pretty okay.

Chinasaur
02-05-2002, 09:30 PM
NetPositive!!

No pop-ups, no java, no CSS, no DHTML..

All speed all the time..

dnar
02-06-2002, 05:00 AM
RedHat RPM's are not on the page yet, but they are available on the FTP area.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla0.9.8/Red_Hat_7x_RPMS/i386/

dnar
02-11-2002, 05:18 AM
Well I have switched from the stable branch to the development branch of Galeon, using 1.1.3 with Mozilla 0.9.8 and I must say this is rockin :D

Anyone fancy a little cross forum Mozilla/Galeon support here (http://www.overclockersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=13518)? hehe, I hate to see Mozilla/Galeon not get the user support it deserves... :D

pointwood
03-12-2002, 03:16 AM
Mozilla 0.9.9 has been released :cool:

bwkaz
03-23-2002, 08:39 AM
You people are all crazy! w3c (the browser, not the organization) is just about the best one out there! It has frames, it has tables (well.. I'm pretty sure it has frames and tables, I know for sure it has one of the two), the one thing it doesn't have is images. But who needs images, seriously? I mean, you *nix people don't all use X, do you? ;)

Actually, before I set up X (in Linux from Scratch 3) I used Lynx, and now I use Mozilla CVS from just before 0.98 branched. I really should update it, but I need to re-read how to install to a directory that isn't in the source tree. Because it gets to be WAAAAY too big when you keep all the .cpp, .c, .h, etc. files in the tree.