PDA

View Full Version : No net access

Herbal
10-05-2002, 07:16 PM
I have a machine that has no access to the net (actually it does but is behind about 4 firewalls so can only get Internet traffic through).

What files do I need to transfer from a machine with net access to this other machine I have? (I want to buffer 99999 structures and send them to this spare machine and leave it crunch for a few days, then send them back to my other machine to be uploaded).

Thanks.

Scoofy12
10-05-2002, 09:08 PM
first of all, you dont need to send anything other than the client itself to the new computer. There is no work that needs to be downloaded from the project servers, only uploaded. The bit about buffering structures is just that when the client creates them but before they are uploaded, they are said to be buffered. So what you want to do is install the client on the nonet computer, run with the -i f switch (for no net access), and the -df switch (the "buffer more structures" switch, which allows it to buffer more than 6 sets) and let it crunch away. When you get ready to upload, just stop the client, and copy the filelist.txt and all the .bz2 files (except rotlib.bin.bz2, you dont need that) to the net computer, and upload!

Gunslinger
10-07-2002, 09:13 AM
I can't remember if this is fixed or not, but I got caught by it in the past so I'm going to mention it here.

If you have used -df and have generated more than six sets of structures, make sure you use the -df switch again when uploading the results to prevent the client from simply throwing away the excess above six sets.

I apologise if this is no longer required, but I prefer safe to sorry.

Ni!