PDA

View Full Version : Orphaned .bz2 files

Tyrfang
10-10-2002, 05:55 PM
Hi all. I have some orphaned .bz2 files on two of my machines. Must have been from an improper shutdown while the client was running (darn kids!). I've tried to get them to upload by using the -ut switch in the batch file but no luck. Are they now junk or can I get them to u/l another way?

Cheers :jester:

runestar
10-11-2002, 12:37 AM
Yes, there is a method to do it but I'm not sure Brian the Fist (Howard) wants those of us who now how to get orphaned files to the server to publish that information because of the potential for abuse. =/

However, if the information is already disseminated out there... then telling you won't make a difference either way. =)

Best,

RuneStar½

Paratima
10-11-2002, 07:08 AM
There is one .bz2 file that you must never muck with: rotlib.bin.bz2. Leave it out of this discussion.

As the client is working, it creates a xxxxxx.val.bz2 file with results. When it finishes a run, it uploads that file and another that it creates on the fly, xxxxxx.log.bz2. Together, the val.bz2 and log.bz2 file pair constitutes a valid result load.

If your client can't upload its work, when it finishes a bufferload, it saves both .bz2 files and creates a third file named filelist.txt. If, after subsequent runs, it still can't upload, it creates more of the val.bz2 and log.bz2 files and adds their names to filelist.txt. When the client finally gets to upload, these files are deleted as they are sent until none are left.

If you have val.bz2/log.bz2 file pairs, then they can be uploaded. If the filelist.txt is missing, Team Stir Frey has an excellent FAQ on how to generate it here (http://tsf.dbestern.net/faq.php#q2).

If all you have are xxxxxx.val.bz2 files, then they are orphans from improper shutdowns, etc., and can safely be removed. Don't remove rotlib.bin.bz2 (!) or the xxxxxx.val.bz2 file that your client is currently working on.

runestar
10-11-2002, 03:00 PM
He said it, not me... but that will work.. I think the FAQ was fairly good but that's assuming you have a log.bz2 file to go along with it...which often you don't.

RS½

Tyrfang
10-11-2002, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the help you guys. I see these are in deed orphans so I will have to delete them. Ah well...better to know for sure :)

:jester:

runestar
10-12-2002, 01:14 AM
Orphans they may be... but you can still give them a home... ;) All hope is not lost...

RS½

Tyrfang
10-12-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by runestar½
Orphans they may be... but you can still give them a home... ;) All hope is not lost...

RS½

I think it is...they are just the .val files without the .log files.

runestar
10-12-2002, 01:30 PM
You got half the puzzle solved already... just have to figure out how the other half goes in there. ;)

TTFN,

RS½

Brian the Fist
10-13-2002, 11:53 AM
Tyrfang:

Just ignore Runestar :haddock: , your data is lost without .log.bz2 files and the .val.bz2 files can be erased.

runestar
10-13-2002, 01:47 PM
Now you say something.... :P :spank:

RS½