PDA

View Full Version : A charts enhancement idea to satisify all parties...

runestar
10-11-2002, 03:24 PM
Howard,

Maybe I'm just not seeing this... but here's what I'm seeing...

Third party DF stat engines want to maintain the most accurate possible stats. To do this, they will need every accout to properly track the rankings. Now if the anonymous accounts don't have a UID... don't we have a mixture of quality data?

Going to be some ugly code trying to match the UIDs with UID 0s ... at least it's there though, but going to be some interesting code out there for it.

Here's the thing, aren't there going to be gaps then in the stats if they don't display them? If you don't count then the listing aren't accurate. So how this resolve out... because it looks either there will be gaps or jumps on the tables or the anon users have to be displayed using whatever method the stats guys may come up with.

One thought I had was not compiling anonymous users into the DF stats systems. Simply put, a UID of 0 would not be counted towards the master list. What you could do is if they login calculate where they would be if they weren't anonymous... basically an approximate rank based on comparing thier structures to the master list. It doesn't seem that it would take any large toll on the servers. I don't know how anonymous users there are, but I don't see them logging on that often.

Or as an alternate to a real-time check, you could calculate the anon users into a table every 12 or 24 Hrs... "Your approximate rank would be: ####"

Just some thoughts I had... seems to me that if you're willing (it is your project so we can't MAKE you do it... ;) ) to do a little extra coding on the DF side, it seems we would address your concerns about not tracking anonymous users, Howard, and the stats guys' desire to get the most accurate stats.

Best,

RuneStar½