PDA

View Full Version : New protein crashes client when lock file deleted

vsemaska
10-16-2002, 03:32 PM
Howard,

I just downloaded the new protein and installed it on Tru64 UNIX. I let it run for awhile and then deleted the lock file from another terminal session. When I did I got this on the terminal:

The program has crashed. If you suspect
a bug, please contact us at trades@mshri.on.ca
Note: Some work may be lost.

In error.log is this:

ERROR: [001.001] {foldtrajlite.c, line 1095} Caught sig 11

Only the *.log.bz2 is left. No *.val.bz2 or filelist.txt.

This also happens if I enter 'Q' to terminate the client.

Vic

bwkaz
10-16-2002, 05:00 PM
Sig 11 is a segfault / segmentation violation / whatever else you want to call it. Programs receive this signal on Unix when they attempt to access memory they don't "own".

There's a Sig11 FAQ somewhere on the Internet (I think you'd be able to find it with a Google search for "Sig11 FAQ"); it has a bunch of different things to try if you're getting sig 11's when compiling the Linux kernel.

That FAQ does more or less assume it's a hardware problem though, so it may actually not be appropriate if there's a real bug in the Tru64 client. Maybe getting one of the debug versions from Howard would be a good idea?

vsemaska
10-16-2002, 06:19 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware problem. I installed the client on another system and got the same results.

Vic

bwkaz
10-16-2002, 10:24 PM
Hmmm, OK.

Howard, any ideas? I'm at the end of what I can figure out without source code or a debug version. ;)

I'm sure you'll be able to figure out something... you always have.

:cheers:

vsemaska
10-16-2002, 10:27 PM
Looked at the NEWS section, saw the note about the UNIX bug, and how to fix: 'To correct for now, you can change your TMPDIR environment variable or location of your client so they are on the same partition.'. Try it and it works.

Thanks,
Vic

Brian the Fist
10-17-2002, 10:12 AM
Yup, and fixed version have been posted on the web site now as well.