PDA

View Full Version : I need one box only....

badsac
01-17-2002, 12:54 AM
....from each of you to run D2OL for our D2OL team. Oh, okay, not from each of you, but if anyone's got a box to spare, we could really use it. I know you've all got your own favorite projects you're trying to get established in and get into as high a position as you can. I wouldn't be asking otherwise, but we need a little support.

We've just lost 3rd spot in the D2OL team standings.

For those of you that don't know, D2OL is a projects currently looking for cures for Ebola, Anthrax, and Smallpox. More bugs will be added in the future.

The project is young but it seems to be running well. The servers can go down every now and then, but since the client has caching, the down periods don't affect anyone to much.

The only issue seems to be that since the client is so pretty, it's a bit bloated and takes up a fair bit of memory at times.

They've finally introduced stats so you can all see how you and the teams going.

So, I understand if you're all spread a little thin already. But we could really use your support.

IronBits
01-17-2002, 01:10 AM
I just had to pull the plug on two more boxen :(
or else I would have. D20L is a very nice client!

badsac
01-17-2002, 01:13 AM
What's wrong with those boxen IB?

Dyyryath
01-17-2002, 02:42 AM
I've just agreed to a slugfest against two members of TCP in Ubero so I'll need all my boxes for the time being.

However, it's only from this coming Monday until the following Monday, so as soon as it's over, I'll put some boxes on D2OL and help out!

badsac
01-17-2002, 02:52 AM
You're a champion Dyy. Thankyou. :D

rstarr
01-23-2002, 04:35 PM
Does anyone have the URL for D2OL?

badsac
01-23-2002, 09:24 PM
Hey rstarr. Thanks for being willing to have a look at the project.

This page (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=175) should have all the addresses for anything you should need for D2OL at the minute. :)

rstarr
01-26-2002, 04:50 PM
badsac,

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and like the project. Right now I'm running F@H on 4 T-Birds, 2 AMD XP's and 5 PIII's.

Once I reach my personnel goals with F@H (100th position and 1,000 WU's) I'll place a box or two on D2OL and see how it goes.

Being a soldier, I'm interested in the Anthrax, and as a father of a 2 year old, the smallpox. Worth while projects in my mine. :)

Chinasaur
01-29-2002, 07:43 PM
I've done my goal in S@H..and am thinking of switching..

Got a friend and a father who will probably go where I go...and that would be 4 boxes between us 3.

So tell me...

1. Is it stable?
2. How is connections?
3. Does it use Proxy's?
4. I have this ethical problem supporting drug companies since they make so much money anyway and the results don't go to public domain...why should I join this effort when it would only enrich already rich people/companies?

badsac
01-30-2002, 01:52 AM
Some quick answers.

1. Seems very stable. I've never had a crash with the later versions. Some of the earlier versions would hang for me on bringing up the GUI, but the later versions have cured that.

2. Connections are generally good, but there have been a few problems lately. The client has some caching though so it's not as big of a problem as it is for some projects.

3. Yeah, it support proxies but there have been conflicting reports on how successful it is.

4. This isn't being done by a drug company. They are a DC company much like UD, only just starting out. They still haven't named any names about who the results are going to and what will be done with them, mainly because of the senstive nature of the work and confidentiality agreements between the various parties. As for why you should join this effort, I mainly did because it was a chance to do something about smallpox which is very scary stuff when you read up about it. Also the fact they are working on Ebola now as well it very good in my opinion. The people from Sengent seem like good guys and are very helpful, so that's a plus in their favour. But as with any DC project, there are no guarantees about what will come out of them. It requires a bit of faith. But I've chosen to put my faith in the Sengent project, and I hope you do to. :D