PDA

View Full Version : 0.9.7 Repeated Stop/Start grabs memory

Halon50
10-24-2002, 03:02 AM
I recently fired up Task Manager under WinXP and saw a whopping 224MB Commit Charge, when normal usage was anywhere between 108MB to 150MB.

Exiting the SB client, then restarting it from the Start menu released about 100MB. At this point I tested the Stop/Start button to see if that was a problem.

With each iteration of Stop/Start, the client grabs an additional 6MB. Since I tend to run applications that need full CPU usage on this machine, I've used the Stop/Start button many times over the course of several days (since the last reboot). The SB client does relinquish its reserved memory back to the OS properly upon shutdown, from what I've seen, but of course my question is, where do those 6MB chunks go?

smh
10-24-2002, 05:10 PM
There is no need to stop /start the program all the time when you need full cpu as long as you are running it at idle priority.

Even when you run it at low priority the client shouldn't get (hardly) any cpu time when a normal priority program asks for it.

This doesn't explain the 6mb chunks of memory though.

jjjjL
10-25-2002, 12:13 AM
i can explain the 6mb chunks.... uh.... my bad. ;)

thanks for pointing that out. this issue has actually always existed. I remember dave mentioning it to me back when we made like v0.2 but back then it was not as big of deal because we were using GMP code which somehow wasn't as big as the PRP code.

the good news is the mem leak only occurs when you do start/stops without shutting down... but it's still a HUGE leak.

thankfully, it has taken me about 10 minutes to fix. i'm testing it out now to make sure everything is cool.

i'm gonna tweak a few more new features before i make a new release. In the mean time, don't do start/stops a lot and if you do, just restart your client. will be out either later tonight or later this weekend.

thanks again for the report.

-L

Halon50
10-25-2002, 02:44 AM
Sure thing; I figured it wasn't too big of a problem, since exiting and restarting the client cleaned up memory just fine.

Cheerfully awaiting your new client! :cheers: