PDA

View Full Version : Client feature request

pizzaking
10-26-2002, 10:18 AM
I'm writing a monitoring app for DF which is similar to dfgui but designed for monitoring multple clients over a network.

One of the pieces of info I would like to show is the protein size and the name of the protein. I was wondering if this info could be placed in a text file in the DF directory? Similar to how the progress.txt file has the information about the number of structures.

If this was implemented then it would be easier to see which clients have autoupdated and which havent (unless the protein size didnt change ;).

Darkness Productions
10-26-2002, 10:58 AM
In case you haven't looked at the dfGUI source lately, the way that he implemented this is pretty interesting, but difficult to say the least. He opens the protien file as a binary file, and searches it for specific strings. It works, but it's not the simplest way to do things. I've been wondering about this feature myself, as it would make it easier to see if my non-Windows clients had updated.

Originally posted by pizzaking
I'm writing a monitoring app for DF which is similar to dfgui but designed for monitoring multple clients over a network.

One of the pieces of info I would like to show is the protein size and the name of the protein. I was wondering if this info could be placed in a text file in the DF directory? Similar to how the progress.txt file has the information about the number of structures.

If this was implemented then it would be easier to see which clients have autoupdated and which havent (unless the protein size didnt change ;).

Brian the Fist
10-26-2002, 11:49 AM
The way Jeff gets the protein length works just fine I believe as he understnds the format of the file. Unfortunately, the real protein info/name is not available, because then I make the protein.trj file, the only input is the sequence, so it does not contain any information about what that sequence is FROM (although there is a place for it in the data structure).
If I were to fill in this part properly, there are C parsers available to then parse the file and pick out that information, but it is a little tricky. However I could put that myself in the ASCII Window, except that names tend to get long and take up lots of space so Id rather not.

pizzaking
10-27-2002, 02:44 AM
Hrm, that means I'll have to try to do in Delphi what Jeff has done in C++ Builder, which will be hard since I've not that good a programmer.