PDA

View Full Version : New Linux Pharm

IronBits
02-24-2009, 12:02 PM
:rotfl:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/143/1051143/pc-plug-coming-soon-wall-near

Get 100s and plug em in everywhere :)

IronBits
02-24-2009, 04:17 PM
A $100 Linux wall wart could do to servers what netbooks did to notebooks. With the Marvell SheevaPlug, you get a completely open (hardware and software) Linux server resembling a typical wall-wart power adapter, but running Linux on a 1.2GHz CPU, with 512MB of RAM, and 512MB of Flash. I/O includes USB 2.0, gigabit Ethernet, while expansion is provided via an SDIO slot. The power draw is a nightlight-like 5 Watts. Marvell says it plans to give Linux developers everything they need to deliver 'disruptive' services on the device.

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS9634061300.html

According to Tran, Marvell ships about a billion chips per year. Of those, 800,000 are powered by Marvell's own cores. The "Sheeva" core powering the SheevaPlug's processor is one example.

The $100 SheevaPlug development platform and Plug Computer designs are built around the Marvell 88F6000, or "Kirkwood" SoC (http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS8083740858.html), which was introduced last year. The Plug Computer is based on the high-end 88F6281 version of the Kirkwood, with a Sheeva CPU core clocked to 1.2GHz. The Sheeva core combines elements of Marvell's earlier Feroceon and XScale architectures, both of which implemented ARM Ltd.'s ARMv5 architecture, similar to ARM Ltd.'s own "ARM9" cores.

The SheevaPlug Plug Computer is further equipped with 512MB of DRAM and 512MB of flash. The tiny embedded PC also includes gigabit Ethernet and USB 2.0 ports. Marvell did not release precise dimensions for the platform, but one early product based on the design is listed as measuring 4.0 x 2.5 x 2.0 inches. Plugging directly into a standard wall socket, the Plug Computer draws less than five watts under normal operation, compared to 25-100 watts for a PC being used as a home server, claims Marvell.

IronBits
02-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I wonder if they can be setup as PXE nodes :)

gopher_yarrowzoo
02-25-2009, 03:01 AM
If they can then your in, imagine a rack of them...

jasong
03-01-2009, 07:58 PM
How would you have enough plugs to power these things? I have this picture in my head of buying up all the power strips in town, plugging them in about 2-3 power supplies deep, then plugging the wall-wart computers in all the available slots.

Since I'm already diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, I have a horrible fear of what my parents might decide to do if I attempted this.

"I don't know what happened, Doc, he was doing so well. One day we just got a bunch of power supplies and these things that reminded me of plugin air fresheners. He started cackling about goblin rulers or something. Then we called you...Can you help him, Doc?"

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Ah you see this is where you could mod them really nice...
I'm sure you get mains splitters that are little more than a box with a 6/8/10/12 points to wire the mains into as long as the load is not much, I mean what they run at 100w tops so hmm as long as you had the cable going to the wall rated at enough amps to handle the 6/8/10/12 going all out + 10% (safety margin)..
Or like I said a nice rack of 'em as long as you could handle the heat (lol)..