PDA

View Full Version : Poll: PoTM (March)

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-03-2009, 04:31 AM
Okay Folks almost time to switch to a new primary project of the Month,
vote and if Other add a comment as to which..

I say "Primary" as some may run out of work so may have to go to a backup project which will be the one with the 2nd most votes overall, or comment here as to which you'd like..

Petey
03-03-2009, 06:03 AM
WCG as the primary with mindmodelling as the secondary when/if there is work available.

Bok
03-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Magnetism@Home + Superlink + MindModelling to push them all to 1M.

IronBits
03-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Lots of views, but no comments and no more votes.
Speak up :Pokes:

Looks like WCG has the high vote so far.

CaptainMooseInc
03-04-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm fine with WCG as I can run it on my home box. It'll be too much trouble to run around to my other two :borg:ed boxes and install another program and get it firing too. Maybe if BOINC comes back around in the next month I can bring them on because it's a simple switch-over. :thumbs:

IronBits
03-04-2009, 01:55 AM
WCG is a BOINC project now ;)

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Yeah People Please vote it would be nice to see your views on this, which is why I put this poll up...
So looks like WCG (Boinc) with Poem @ Home as secondry :p

pfb
03-04-2009, 05:46 AM
If we did WCG, would it be all the current projects or just some? Or doesn't it really matter?

Current projects at WCG:

Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together
FightAIDS@Home
Help Conquer Cancer
Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2
Nutritious Rice for the World
The Clean Energy Project

Petey
03-04-2009, 06:55 AM
If we did WCG, would it be all the current projects or just some? Or doesn't it really matter?

Current projects at WCG:

Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together
FightAIDS@Home
Help Conquer Cancer
Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2
Nutritious Rice for the World
The Clean Energy Project

Hi pfb,

The points are the same regardless of which project we crunch. Which projects you choose to crunch is a matter of personal preference. I set my preferences to crunch the rice and the cancer project because the workunits are about 6 hours long for each - the workunits for some of the other projects are a lot longer.

And if you crunch enough workunits for a particular project they even give you badges http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=web#331

LAURENU2
03-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Was not WCG once called united devices

Bok
03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
same software (I think) but UD and WCG were seperate.

pfb
03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi pfb,

The points are the same regardless of which project we crunch. Which projects you choose to crunch is a matter of personal preference. I set my preferences to crunch the rice and the cancer project because the workunits are about 6 hours long for each - the workunits for some of the other projects are a lot longer.

And if you crunch enough workunits for a particular project they even give you badges http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=web#331

I've put 1 box on atm to see what it's like getting the following (rough) times:

Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together: 4 hrs
FightAIDS@Home: 3.5 hrs
Help Conquer Cancer - 4 hrs
Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2 - 4.5 hrs
Nutritious Rice for the World - 6 hrs
The Clean Energy Project - not known yet

This is on a Xeon E5410...WU times don't look that bad...mem usage seems ok (Folding is 300MB max but can be removed from the project list, Rice seems to be the smallest at 10MB).

Based on this be happy to run WCG for March (and maybe beyond - seems to cover the main projects I'm interested in) :)

Petey
03-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Was not WCG once called united devices

There you go Lauren, showing your age again :D

It did indeed start out as UD, UD disappeared when IBM came on the scene and replaced the UD software with BOINC.

Bizarrely, I was on the original UD Beta program running the HMMER application. Right now, my boxes are running HMMER for the SIMAP project.

A lot has changed in the last 10 years :p

CaptainMooseInc
03-04-2009, 12:42 PM
@Petey:

You aren't kidding! United Devices was my 2nd project I ever did after SETI@home (which took me a month to realize my WUs went WAYYY faster without a screensaver). Then it was that totally awesome Find-a-Drug. ;)

DCing has really spread out big.

-Jeff

P.S. WCG on BOINC? Wow. I'm a bit out of the loop. :rolleyes:

LAURENU2
03-04-2009, 04:52 PM
There you go Lauren, showing your age again :D
Ya I think I have been DC'ing for 13 years now :crazy: or close to it

It did indeed start out as UD, UD disappeared when IBM came on the scene :p
Then in all good faith :mad: I can not work this Project

Petey
03-04-2009, 06:18 PM
@CaptainMooseInc:

@Petey:
You aren't kidding! United Devices was my 2nd project I ever did after SETI@home (which took me a month to realize my WUs went WAYYY faster without a screensaver). Then it was that totally awesome Find-a-Drug. ;)
:

SETI was my first DC project too. At the time, I worked for one of the project sponsors and was asked to help tune-up the database performance. Of course I had to borg a few boxen in our high performance labs to help me during testing. Being paid to crunch - can't be bad :D

@Lauren:
I totally respect your views. Is it partly because of the shabby treatment of Keith Davis by UD? I did a check and UD have NOTHING to do with WCG. UD left when IBM came in, launched grid.org then shut this down in 2007 when it was discovered that they were processing the same work over and over. UD are now called Univa UD and market and support their globus grid platform.

LAURENU2
03-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I made a promise back then that I would Never do any work for them ever again
It makes no difference that they changed there name or there Spencer's.
To do work for them To Me would be braking my sworn word.
And yes it was because of the shabby treatment of Keith Davis and all that contributed to them

CaptainMooseInc
03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
@Lauren

Petey is saying though that WCG is in no way affiliated with UD anymore. UD is something else entirely different now.

LAURENU2
03-05-2009, 12:22 AM
I did grasp that from what Bok and Petey posted
But unless you Are saying that Wcg Did not evolve in any way shape or form from UD My hands are tied
And from what I recall it did evolve from UD.:sniper:
I am sorry but my word is my bond 33 years of marriage should prove that:rock:

CaptainMooseInc
03-05-2009, 12:34 AM
That'd be like someone saying they won't run a DC project ever again after a bad encounter running SETI@home...simply because SETI@home was the first true DC project and all others have evolved from the initial idea of it... :bonk:

I may be wrong on this one, but wasn't Find-A-Drug spawned from the same client software that UD initially used?

Petey
03-05-2009, 02:59 AM
I did grasp that from what Bok and Petey posted
But unless you Are saying that Wcg Did not evolve in any way shape or form from UD My hands are tied

Using these criteria, WCG did evolve from UD (my WCG device list even includes my old UD boxes).

Each of us has a list of projects we are not happy to crunch and this is why it is good that we select two projects as a result of our POTM poll.

@CaptainMooseInc: A bit more background, Keith Davis is the author of the THINK software. UD ran a project using THINK but refused to implement software upgrades for THINK. Keith was treated very badly and in frustration started Find-A-Drug. The whole episode did UD a lot of harm and probably lead to their replacement by IBM.

LAURENU2
03-05-2009, 03:07 AM
:welcome:

Petey
03-05-2009, 03:20 AM
:thumbs: You said it!

Btw, the old FAD Teddies team are on POEM (vaio, Nite Owl, Scribe etc).

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-05-2009, 04:12 AM
I am sorry but my word is my bond 33 years of marriage should prove that:rock:

Hmm Guys he's only doing what the boss tells him to do aren't you :lmao:

So it's pretty much agreed those who want will crunch WCG (boinc) and those that don't crunch Poem@Home
:guntotin:

pfb
03-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Sounds good :)

Just one thing with WCG - some projects have a large quorum size (Rice is 10 by the looks of it and Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2 is 15; the rest seem to be set to 2) so this is something to consider if ppl do run WCG for the next PoTM...

Petey
03-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Over the last 28 days we made 1.3 million points on Spinhenge. If we did the same on POEM then we would overtake DPC and we all know how happy that makes Fozzie :D

1.3 million points on WCG moves us up 25-30 spots - still a long way away from the other big teams :(

It feels like POEM should be the primary with WCG as the secondary. Of course, how everyone chooses to split their time is up to them.

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Oh hang on did someone say "Free Burgers" I'm there boys I think Poem @ Home is a good to go, I'll get the beers in, IB you wanna check the BBQ is all ready for some fresh cow patties soon....

CaptainMooseInc
03-05-2009, 11:35 AM
I think voting should remain open until March 13th really. It looks like someone put in an extra nod for P@H so it's now a vote ahead of WCG. :p

Petey
03-05-2009, 11:46 AM
The poll is set to close on the 12th so there is still plenty of time for everyone to have their say.

Whichever way we decide to go I think this POTM is going to be fun!

CaptainMooseInc
03-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Okay, seeing as how I'm new to the BOINC platform, I have a question.

Is there a quick and smooth way to transition from one project to the next? I'm going to probably switch one system late next week from Spinhenge to whatever it looks like the winner is going to be.

After I've done this once then I won't have to ask again. :thumbs:

pfb
03-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Various options but the 2 main ones are:

- if all the machines you're running are at one location, use BoincView (also handy monitoring app)

- if the machines are at varied locations, BAM (http://boincstats.boincstats.com/bam/) is good.

Fairly easy to change with either :)

LAURENU2
03-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Only 12 members voted
:idea:Should we call our self
The Dirty Dozen
like that old movie

IronBits
03-06-2009, 01:41 AM
I have Poem@Home setup and ready to go.

Just as soon as I can get these SIMAP work units completed, I will be returning to our efforts in Spinhenge@Home for some :frog: legs to :eat:

LAURENU2
03-06-2009, 02:50 AM
I have Poem@Home setup and ready to go.

IB Maybe I can call you on Saturday or Sunday to walk me through the boincview setup:hugging:
and I did a upgrade on my routers firmware might need some info on that to:notworthy
Router INFO (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1169671133867&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=3386724130B176&displaypage=nodata)

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-06-2009, 09:12 AM
IB's Tech support $5 / 20minutes :p

Moose - BAM is probably the eaiser to setup and use even if they are all in one place and I've said this somewhere before you can delay detach the current project if you wanted to so it finishes all the work it has and it also won't fetch new stuff..

LAURENU2
03-06-2009, 03:32 PM
IB's Tech support $5 / 20 minutes :p

Thats dam cheap If I called the Geek squad(BestBuy) I am sure it would be 2X that

IronBits
03-06-2009, 06:36 PM
IB Maybe I can call you on Saturday or Sunday to walk me through the boincview setup:hugging:
and I did a upgrade on my routers firmware might need some info on that to:notworthy
Router INFO (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1169671133867&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=3386724130B176&displaypage=nodata)
Never a problem Lauren :rock:

Shish
03-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Well I guess I'm gonna have to raid the spares box and put something together as all my remaining, apart from the 2 rack servers, have gone to a charity job. Don't think this 1.4 ghz laptop will do much! Anybody got an old 1st gen 1.8-2.0 ghz Pentium M lying around for this lappy?:blush:
I have been off and on WCG and Mindmodeling for some time now but always willing to follow the (Bakers?) Dirty Dozen Lauren. And snap on the 33 years of living with the @Boss@ in wedlock (apropriate the 'LOCK' bit:eek:) Lauren :thumbs:34 just coming up.
Think I still have an old 4800 Athlon and some 3200 memory plus an unused DFI NF4 board from a local donation so I should be in good enough shape to get my boy to put something together even if it's just running 'bareback' on the work table. Come to think of it, it's time to teach the grandaughter how to put stuff together an she's here for a week. That'll keep her occupied and out of grannies hair for a couple days so 2 birds with one stone sounds good :thumbs:. I need to get some new kit for myself as I really hate laptops now. Wonder how long till the I7 starts it's first price drop......

LAURENU2
03-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Never a problem Lauren :rock:
_You Da Man_ IB Added 3 nodes and did a mass project add
:allhail:
And a lot more fun then the geek squad

One ??? what happens if the IP address on the nodes change do I have to re-Add them again

IronBits
03-09-2009, 01:17 AM
It's possible that they might get lost for a little while, but because you are using computer names, the DHCP on the router should mostly resolve quickly.
Make sure the IP address of the computer running BoincView doesn't change, or else you will need to make a change to the .cfg file on every node...

CaptainMooseInc
03-09-2009, 01:43 AM
For that one Lauren, just assign a static ip from the router to that specific node running boincview. Pretty easy to do. :thumbs:

LAURENU2
03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
For that one Lauren, just assign a static ip from the router to that specific node running boincview. Pretty easy to do. :thumbs:

Ya that was one of the first things IB did here. He made My Free-DC server Static so he could find it in this mess

One ??? what happens if the IP address on the nodes change do I have to re-Add them again
:evil:

because you are using computer names, the DHCP on the router should mostly resolve quickly.

:idea:Would it be better to make all the nodes static

And here is the link to the router pdf Setup (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1169671133867&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=3386724130B176&displaypage=nodata) . Look at the user guide and see what you think.
I bought the same Gigabit router for my 2nd personal DSL line
the 64 meg of memory does help speed it up and I even used cat 7 cables for it

IronBits
03-09-2009, 11:59 AM
You don't need static IPs for the nodes.
I'll try to figure out your router eventually.
No rush, as you have everything working now.

IronBits
03-10-2009, 02:10 AM
We are at 50/50 so far.
I removed one vote from a non Free-DC Team member.

Edit: removed another non Free-DC Team member vote, so Poem is in the lead.

Death
03-10-2009, 04:21 AM
damn.

)))))))

CaptainMooseInc
03-13-2009, 02:22 PM
So the vote is 6 to 5 in favor of POEM. Switching over Sunday to the new project yes?

Bok
03-13-2009, 04:59 PM
yup. I switched over already seeing as I hit 250K in magnetism and it's ran out of work anyways... :)

Moogie
03-13-2009, 06:22 PM
so we are switching to Poem on Sunday?

Anyone have the link?

gopher_yarrowzoo
03-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Look in the BOINC > Poem @ Home forum it's in there :) too tired to go fish the link out, I'm runing down the current work units I have in Spin and the new project is up and running with me..

pfb
03-13-2009, 10:40 PM
so we are switching to Poem on Sunday?

Anyone have the link?

http://boinc.fzk.de/poem/

;)

IronBits
03-14-2009, 12:37 AM
I thought it was tonight at midnight. When ever you can get there is fine with us. :D

LAURENU2
04-28-2009, 01:46 AM
So it is set We are Doing NPLB for May :evil:

Angus
04-28-2009, 01:57 AM
What kind of BOINC project is that?

Does it have a link to attach it?

IronBits
04-28-2009, 02:16 AM
No BOINC. Pure clients, one per core, simple and easy to run.

Read this: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18526

If Lauren can run it on ALL of his computers, shouldn't be too hard for the rest of us eh? ;)
:rock:

Angus
04-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Where's the software downloaded from? My PC don't know what a .rar file is

[edited]
Huh. I found an old LLR folder I must have copied from my previous PC.

It looks like there is some sort of config file, with my username in it.

It's got some server names that look like Riesel and Sierpinski - is this the same thing?

The llrnet.exe file is dated in Aug 2006

[edited again]

I found this: http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3
but it seems to be a *very* sparse site.

There seems to be a whole bunch of contradictory "How to get started" sites/forums all over the place
like this one http://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82

And - what's the deal with all the talk about different servers and ports?

This is waaaaaaaaaaaay confusing.

LAURENU2
04-28-2009, 03:13 AM
No BOINC. Pure clients, one per core, simple and easy to run.

If Lauren can run it on ALL of his computers, shouldn't be too hard for the rest of us eh? ;)
:rock:
Ya considering how Dumb I am :lmao:it should be easy for you all to run it

Angus
04-28-2009, 03:17 AM
If I could actually find the right version of the software, and a plain-text sample of how to set up the config file for multiple cores and the right server, I'd be happy.

As it is, now I have to go find some other weird file extractor and try to install it - what the hell was wrong with good old .zip files?

and what's the right damn project site? mersenne.org or this other noprimeleftbehind.net

and there's nothing in the config file about team name

:firedevil::firedevil::firedevil::firedevil::firedevil::firedevil::firedevil::firedevil::firedevil:

Digital Parasite
04-28-2009, 07:53 AM
NPLB is good for me, so what do you do now for the PoTM, run from the 1st to the last day?

IronBits
04-28-2009, 10:28 AM
What part of
READ THIS didn't you understand? :p ;)
AND Read this: http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11

If I could actually find the right version of the software, and a plain-text sample of how to set up the config file for multiple cores and the right server, I'd be happy.

WinRar is your friend.

:couchsleep:

Angus
04-28-2009, 10:43 AM
What part of
READ THIS didn't you understand? :p ;)
AND Read this: http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11

WinRar is your friend.

:couchsleep:

Well excuse me all to hell.

If it was so clear, I wouldn't have had to ask questions, and having it all rolled up into some goofy compression package doesn't help to see what's going on.

I still don't get the whole thing about all those servers and ports. Which one (or ones) get set into the config file, and how is that determined?

IronBits
04-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I see you are contributing, so I guess you got it all figured out. :D
And joined Team Free-DC. :rock:

barebones llr-clientconfig.txt

server = "noprimeleftbehind.net"
port = 8000

username = "Angus"

GUIport = 6999
serviceName = "NPLB-1" -- change this to NPLB-2 for 2nd client, NPLB-3 for 3rd client etc.
--once = 1
WUCacheSize = 1

workFile = "workfile.txt"
tosendFile = "tosend.txt"
sendRetries = 0

GUImask = "255.255.255.255"
GUIallow = "127.0.0.1"
-- example allowing any connection on a local network 192.168.1.*
--GUImask = "255.255.255.0"
--GUIallow = "192.168.0.2"
GUIpassword = "llrnet"

Angus
04-28-2009, 01:35 PM
GUIport = 6999
serviceName = "NPLB-1" -- change this to NPLB-2 for 2nd client, NPLB-3 for 3rd client etc.
--once = 1
WUCacheSize = 1

Thank You!

Pardon me for for getting a little fried by this - but it just wasn't coming together for me. Too much point-n-click BOINC crunching the last few years. I'd forgotten that there are old skool DC projects still running, and got further confused when I found the old Riesel project setup on my drive.

If I run it in the system tray, do I need to change the service names in each config file? I generally don't run anything like this as a service, including BOINC. I like to manually start things and see 'em running.

Does the GUIport also need to be changed? I tried to see both instances in the GUI console, but could only get one.

So - getting back to all these servers/ports ?

What is the deal? Does each team have their own chunk of work they crunch, instead of everyone working away at the same pile?

IronBits
04-28-2009, 06:42 PM
We are trying to come up with a plug-n-pray system, best I could come up with was the care packages that you only had to edit one file for username = and run it.

I don't use the GUIport for anything, but figured maybe others might, so left it in there.
I use VNC to admin my headless boxen. ;) You may get better answers from the veterans over on their new forum http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/forum
Each server 'port' has different kinds of work
you specify what 'port' you want to work on to get that type of 'work' (it's all k/n pairs to me)
Once you return one work unit (k/n pair), your name will show up in the stats.
Then you ask someone (until AMDave gets time to automate it at sign up time) over in the NPLB forum to be added to a Team and it's get done (manually).
Then you are all set, no matter what port (type of k/n pairs) you choose to work on.

LAURENU2
04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Thank You!

Pardon me for for getting a little fried by this - but it just wasn't coming together for me.

Don't Feel to bad. IB had to tuck me in too :bedtime:and read me a bed time story :blush:

Angus
04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
There's a bunch of threads/posts on the mersenne.org site about posting if you find a prime.

Basic question - how do you know?

From what I can tell, there is no user interface on the site to look at the results turned in (aka BOINC "completed tasks"), in fact there is NO user account page at all that I could find.

So - if someone stumbled over a prime laying in the road, how does anyone know?

IronBits
04-29-2009, 12:04 AM
You will get an email from the auto notify script, if your email address is correct. ;)
There are also many links to choose from to keep an eye on your progress

http://nplb.ironbits.net/
http://stats.ironbits.net/statsnew/nplbstats.php?content=progress
http://stats.ironbits.net/statsnew/nplbstats.php?content=prime_list&order=date&type=desc
http://nplb.ironbits.net/primes_8000.txt
If you are on port 5000 then that link would be
http://nplb.ironbits.net/primes_5000.txt
Scroll down to the bottom to see that last primes recently found.