PDA

View Full Version : Come join the fun at irc.Free-DC.org!!!

Marc_1
11-04-2002, 04:24 AM
Hey there fellow DC nuts!!! :)

Just a friendly reminder, that the Official Free-DC IRC servers are available 24/7 for discussion of all matters DC, and even matters that aren't DC.

Our main channel is #lobby, other project specific channels can be started as need arises.

Point your IRC clients to irc.free-dc.org at port 6667 to join in the fun. Web-based clients can be found here (http://www.free-dc.org/chat/chat1.html) and here (http://www.free-dc.org/cgi-bin/chat/irc.cgi) .

Any connection issues, questions, or comments, may be directed to me at marc@mainetech.net .

So, stop on by, chat a bit, and have some fun :jester:

Marc

IronBits
11-08-2002, 12:04 PM
Bump ^
Come on in, the folks on the IRC server are friendly and helpful! :D

SAK
11-19-2002, 06:31 PM
Come to see me too, I'll be idling there ;)

IRC=win

IronBits
11-26-2002, 11:03 AM
If you share or firewall your internet connection, such as sharing a DSL/cable connection among multiple PCs,
or connecting through a proxy/hub/router, or running a software firewall program (including the one built into Windows XP)...
In brief, here are your options:
Windows XP has a built-in Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) which breaks identd and DCC.
See Microsoft's help page for how to disable it. If you want to keep ICF on, you'll have to modify it.
The proper networking fix is to open up incoming TCP/IP on port 113 for identd on your router/firewall.
(cable/DSL routers/firewalls etc.)

SAK
11-26-2002, 11:29 PM
you can accept DCC (usually, unless you are restricted on outgoing ports which is very seldom) even if you are behind a router/firewall. You just won't be able to send to others without opening and/or forwarding port(s).

If you wanna know how to do this, it's really easy. Just ask in IRC or here :)

Angus
12-05-2002, 01:26 AM
The title of this thread seems to be mis-leading.

It's obvious from the new rules
New IRC /MOTD and /Rules: www.mainetech.net/irc/ircd.motd www.mainetech.net/irc/ircd.rules that any type of fun other than plain old boring black and white text is verboten.

Maybe that's why most evenings the best you can get is a random dit "."

A little too draconian for my tastes.

Sorry Moogie, I'd get banned for those dozen roses.....

Marc_1
12-05-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Angus

It's obvious from the new rules that any type of fun other than plain old boring black and white text is verboten.

Maybe that's why most evenings the best you can get is a random dit "."

A little too draconian for my tastes.

Sorry Moogie, I'd get banned for those dozen roses.....

*sigh*

It clearly states in the Rules/MOTD that:

3) No Excessive text color usage, bold/underline usage, Caps locked talk (shouting)

Shall be used.

excessive

\Ex*cess"ive\, a. [Cf. F. excessif.] Characterized by, or exhibiting, excess; overmuch.

Excessive grief [is] the enemy to the living. --Shak.

Syn: Undue; exorbitant; extreme; overmuch; enormous; immoderate; monstrous; intemperate; unreasonable. See Enormous --Ex*cess*ive*ly, adv. -Ex*cess\"ive*ness, n.

I don't think anyone, including myself, see's your little rose thingy as "excessive". Not everyone uses a black and white color scheme for IRC, so it may not be as attractive to some of us.

It also clearly states in the Rules/MOTD that any questions or comments should be directed to me at the given email address.

Posting here without discussing it with me or the other OP's first makes you look childish.

I can't answer a question, if no one asks it.

And in answer to your nickserv question, which I didn't have time to answer before you /quit, yes, nickserv protects your registered nick, but is useless if it doesn't know it's yours, ie, you haven't identified. A /msg nickserv help will give you the options, command and syntax.

Marc

IronBits
12-05-2002, 07:04 AM

It's obvious from the new rules that any type of fun other than plain old boring black and white text is verboten.

Sorry Moogie, I'd get banned for those dozen roses..... Hasn't caused you to be banned for almost a year now, what makes you think it would now?
In fact, I spoke to Marc about having the 'flood protection' loosened considerably to accomodate your neat colored banners you toss up now and again, many many months ago, which he did rather quickly.

Angus
12-05-2002, 04:51 PM
You must have mis-understood my point - it's not just the color or ascii art, it's the whole ambiguous/subjective/restrictive tone and nature of the "rules" that I don't care for.

If there is a "bot" in a channel, repeated abuse, overuse of functions, or other unwanted behaviour will lead to banning
What is overuse of functions? 10 stats requests per hour? 20, 50? What is unwanted behavior, and unwanted by whom?

No scripts. Triggers and the like are also not welcome.
No scripts of any kind? What kind of IRC world do you live in? mIRC uses scripts by default, so mIRC is not an allowed client?

Just a few samples.....

Oh, and by the way, the flood control is cranked down tight again.

Darkness Productions
12-05-2002, 05:28 PM
Angus -

I personally don't mind color in IRC, since my IRC client is setup to strip out colors in public and private messages. However, it greatly bothers others. If someone asks you or anyone else to stop using colors, do the respectful thing, and stop. A little color every now and then is ok, but not every 3rd or 4th line (not saying you do that or otherwise, just an example).

I can't personally speak for abuse or overuse of the bot, but, since it is my bot, if I or another IRC Admin decide that he is being abused, he will disappear. It won't bother me a bit.

On the subject of scritps, however, I think you might be slightly misreading the item in the rules. No scripts means basically that you shouldn't have triggers, so that if someone says "seen dp" then you will reply. Things like that shouldn't happen.

As far as the flooding goes, if we notice that people are being kicked due to flooding after they've pasted only 5 or 6 lines, we'll see what we can do.

If you have other problems with IRC, bring them to Marc_1 or my attention, and we'll see if we can't get things straightened out for you and others as well.

Marc_1
12-05-2002, 07:47 PM
You must have mis-understood my point - it's not just the color or ascii art, it's the whole ambiguous/subjective/restrictive tone and nature of the "rules" that I don't care for.

You must have mis-understood my point - What is your point? It's obvious to me that you've had issues with the way I run things for some time now. It used to bother me, now I don't really care, as it seems you are the only one complaining.

What is overuse of functions? 10 stats requests per hour? 20, 50? What is unwanted behavior, and unwanted by whom?

Common sense should apply. Not ones nit-picking or lack of reasonable patience and understanding. It's inevitable that if one person does a !wz, that the others will as well, same with !place, or !stats. But when one person does it five times in 2 minutes, thats a bit much.

No scripts of any kind? What kind of IRC world do you live in? mIRC uses scripts by default, so mIRC is not an allowed client?

Hardly. If that were the case, the bot wouldn't be there. And show me an enabled-by-default script in mIRC that annoys/disrupts/other-wise affects the channel. Some of us have system stats scripts, scripts that show what song we are playing, but all have to be executed by us. No Scripts means not scripts that advertise files/shares, announce when someone enters the channel, or other triggered events.

Just a few samples.....

Oh, and by the way, the flood control is cranked down tight again.

I would be more than glad to post the results of the flood control test that was just conducted. I was the only one out of two to get it to trigger, and only after pasting nearly this entire thread up to your post. Server-level flood protection is based on number of bytes, not lines of text. At it's current setting, it is more than possible to flood the channel for quite some time with garbage.

The current MOTD and Rules are gathered from several IRC networks. They are by no means final, nor are they to be taken as strict "Law of the Land" with no room for leeway. They are there to protect against those that would cause problems. Something to point at and say "see, it's right there, thats why you were kicked". It solves alot of problems down the road. I would hardly call irc.free-dc.org restrictive. Who remembers the last time anyone was kicked? Even out of "fun"?

But anyway, I'm always open to discussion. Providing the discussion is civil and respectable.

Marc

Darkness Productions
12-05-2002, 09:09 PM
I do! You kicked yourself :D

Originally posted by Marc_1
Who remembers the last time anyone was kicked? Even out of "fun"?Marc

Marc_1
02-07-2003, 02:17 PM
We have two servers and they are linked.

irc.free-dc.org will get you there.

If you have any trouble connection, let me know.

Marc

IronBits
02-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Marc_1
Providing the discussion is civil and respectable.
Marc That's an oxymoron isn't it? :confused: :p :D