PDA

View Full Version : Using W98SE

Greg
11-04-2002, 06:28 AM
After looking through this forum, it's pretty obvious I'm pretty green.

I'm running the text client in 98SE, with 384MB of ram and letting it have the 150MBs it can use. No proc priority restrictions. [P3, 750 - Intel board]

Anyway, after fooling around, I'm running it in it's original configuration, allowing it network access. I keep my machine on 24/7. [ I 'spose I need to save up for W2K.] To make sure I get my phone + answering machine back, set my disconnect [IE6, Internet Prop/ Connections/ Settings/ Advanced/ *around 10 minutes*]

Smiling Carnivore
11-04-2002, 06:53 AM
Welcome to the forum. :thumbs:

Which project are you running?

Greg
11-04-2002, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Smiling Carnivore
Welcome to the forum. :thumbs:

Which project are you running?
Thanks.

<arrgh> Folding proteins with Distributed Folding. Does this seem like the proper place to put this post?

Just wanted to pass on a little experience. I appreciate this forum, but it can be pretty clumsy trying to navigate in them. :crazy:

Chinasaur
11-04-2002, 04:18 PM
Greg..Welcome :) :|party|:

As for posts...this works as good as any for a post on releasing your connection in an OS..seems right on topic :thumbs:

If you haven't joined a team yet, we'd love to have you join Team FreeDC :D

Either way...no OS post is too basic or too advanced for the OS forum. Post frequently and become a regular.

:cheers:

Paratima
11-04-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Greg
[ I 'spose I need to save up for W2K Don't be so sure. I believe you'll find that Winders 98 is quicker than W2K. Just be sure you use the -qt option, if you're primarily after speed. You don't get all the pretty ASCII art, but the DF client runs real quick that way!

Greg
11-04-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Paratima
Don't be so sure. I believe you'll find that Winders 98 is quicker than W2K. Just be sure you use the -qt option, if you're primarily after speed. You don't get all the pretty ASCII art, but the DF client runs real quick that way!
I will keep your invitation Chinasaur. :)

Paratima, I appreciate the tip on 98. I've pulled it up onscreen and once in a while the program is hung on one fold. Ticking the box with the cursor jolts it. I assumed W2K might run it *cleaner*.

I need to install updated drivers for my soundcard. I was juggling between two modems and hadn't spent the time on the soundcard yet. I'm pretty sure it might straighten out that problem. (Guillemot Maxi Muse)

And I'm getting used to *your* (isn't it?) GUI program. Then I'll -qt it. I don't care about the art, but I want to make sure it's producing. :jester:

Paratima
11-04-2002, 07:55 PM
And I'm getting used to *your* (isn't it?) GUI program. Thanks! :o ...but no, it's not mine. I assume you're referring to dfGUI, truly a fine program, which I use on all my Winders boxen, authored by Jeff Gilchrist, who is known here by the moniker "Digital Parasite". Nice guy, and a Canadian, besides. :D

I'm a classic (some would say "baroque") C programmer. I don't go in for all that fancy GUI stuff. However, I do appreciate the people who can put it together, and Jeff definitely does! Actually, I mostly write specs these days, for other people to code. :cool:

Greg
11-04-2002, 08:24 PM
I assume you're referring to dfGUI, truly a fine program, which I use on all my Winders boxen, authored by Jeff Gilchrist, who is known here by the moniker "Digital Parasite". Nice guy, and a Canadian, besides. :D

Yup! I saw a link where you'd recommended it. Molson's is quite Canadian as well. :)

I'm a classic (some would say "baroque") C programmer. I don't go in for all that fancy GUI stuff. However, I do appreciate the people who can put it together, and Jeff definitely does! Actually, I mostly write specs these days, for other people to code. :cool: [/B]

The only programming I've ever done was*punch and verify* and that was a lo-ong time ago. Back when Control Data was a name. But I never continued much past that.

I'm looking to get a t least a couple of Windows boxes up and then maybe some Linux. I would think a *nix box might be a step towards being more efficient than any Windows?

Paratima
11-04-2002, 10:37 PM
I would think a *nix box might be a step towards being more efficient than any Windows? Well, yeah. That's what you'd think.

I'm not so sure. I've been working (very sporadically) on a little project to compare OS's on the same hardware. Not just boxen that are "identical", but REALLY the same! Maybe your post will be the impetus that gets me moving on it again. ;) We'll see.

Greg
11-05-2002, 04:40 AM
I've been working (very sporadically) on a little project to compare OS's on the same hardware. Not just boxen that are "identical", but REALLY the same!
The more I think about this the bigger the bag-of-worms gets. But I'm sort of in the dark. Would the foldtraj client be written in one language and then compiled for each OS or what?

I'd imagine there's already some sort of stats already laid down somewhere comparing Windows and Linux.:rolleyes:

Greg
11-06-2002, 05:11 AM

I'd imagine there's already some sort of stats already laid down somewhere comparing Windows and Linux.:rolleyes:
The benchmark discussion is sort of what I was looking for Paratima. I've got a few tossed-out 133 machines which evidently won't run the foldtraj client, anyway, from what I can garner.

Dyyryath
11-06-2002, 11:06 AM
If I remember correctly, Howard has stated that most of the development was originally done under Linux and that it was ported to the other operating systems from there. Whetther he's written something extremely portable that just requires recompilation for different targets, or whether he has multiple code trees, I don't know.

I do seem to remember him saying that the Linux client was *generally* faster, though I think that this was primarily because it was the original development environment.

I've not tested this, but it would be easy enough. I've got several machines that are dual-boot for development purposes. I'll give it a run today and see what the speed differences really are between Linux and Windows.

Hogger
11-09-2002, 12:54 AM
Thanks Dyyryath

I was just curious. Any expertise I have is limited to winders, so far.

(Greg)