PDA

View Full Version : Reset stats for k=33661 ?

jjjjL
11-07-2002, 07:54 PM
It just occured to me that it would be possible for me to store the stats for the current and next k value seperately. The stats for k=33661 could be on a seperate page and the current stats could remain online but would eventually settle down and stop being updated.

I don't know how people feel about this idea. I just thought of it so I haven't made up my mind yet. One benefit I can think of is that stats would be "speedier" because they could be in a new database. less data == faster.

Then again, the ramp up in the project lately sure does look neat. ;) I like the idea of leaving it all one group of stats too.

I recently optimized the database by indexing important columns so that stats now build about 100x faster and graphs take 10x less time to parse data. It's not imparitive that I choose either route, I'm just curious.

-Louie

Mystwalker
11-07-2002, 08:17 PM
If the "block effort" is comparable for both k's, I think that there should be only one big statistic and vote for it: :bs: :D

Firebirth
11-08-2002, 04:28 AM
Just make sure to make a big black fat line down trough the stats, the day we change (perhaps you could give the work done for the current sequnce the color blue, and the next, the color green ! Or something...

Also will we change the day, that n i checked consequetively up to 3,000,000 or will it be the day that someone completes a number larger than 3,000,000? Or will it be something more floating; it seems that there is a jump in weeks on the two extremes!

:bs:

Mystwalker
11-08-2002, 04:40 AM
I think there will be a smooth transition: When there's no more n < 3M left, you'll get a n for k=33661. But there will be a mix of old and new n's send back to the server.

Xyzzy
11-08-2002, 06:48 AM
I vote for cumulative stats...

What is the point of ramping up production if the stats get reset all the time?

jpb1
11-08-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Xyzzy
I vote for cumulative stats...

What is the point of ramping up production if the stats get reset all the time?

Ditto

LinearB
11-08-2002, 08:55 AM
Having just started ramping up production I'd like to see just a single set of stats, although I don't see a problem with an Overall figure + work done for each k shown separately, this may not help however in reducing the Database size ;)

jjjjL
11-08-2002, 09:43 AM
ok, i'll keep them cumulative.

thanks for the input.

-L

Halon50
11-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Would it be too hairy to have a pointer or indicator in the stats database that would allow for a future way to split stats between the two k values?

I can see the benefit of "starting from zero", especially for people who've been using the client since the days it was much slower. Perhaps a way to show both aggregate and individual stats for k would help?