PDA

View Full Version : Project bandwith.

RogerAdam
11-14-2002, 04:09 AM
I am contemplating running DF on my business's machines, I own them. I've one concern, what would be "too much" if there is such a thing - I do not wish to stall the project inadvertantly. I'm looking to start after Thanksgiving, hopefully getting the client into as many if not all machines after the New Year. I've reserved an OC3 just for this if I need more than that let me know. Any conversation on particulars - please PM me I would rather talk in private.

Brian the Fist
11-14-2002, 10:30 AM
I am not sure what you are asking, but if you are worried about overloading our server with data, that is highly unlikely now. We currently have about 5000 CPUs constributing actively to the project, and expect to be able to support well up to 100,000 with our current back end and bandwidth.

We look forward to another 'power user' though :D

MAD-ness
11-14-2002, 02:09 PM
Roger makes MilleniumGuy2k1 look like he is running a 286 at home (and turning it off at night).

Glad to hear the server can take a lot more load. :)

RogerAdam
11-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Great, I'll get someone on installing clients in th near future. You have Tru64 clients??? I went to your homepage and noticed only a windows screensaver (then again I really didn't dig beyond the first page), I have Alpha's that can do this, also is there a way to run 1 instance on clusters, or do I have it setup as 1 dir per/cpu? Lastly do I have the ability to use a port of my selection? (forgive the last question, I may've asked it wrong as I was talking to my IT Director about this and he asked me something along these lines)

RogerAdam
11-14-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by MAD-ness
Roger makes MilleniumGuy2k1 look like he is running a 286 at home (and turning it off at night).

Glad to hear the server can take a lot more load. :)

M2K is a class act though, he has no problem "losing" first place as he has posted about a couple of users here, so he may be in for the fun/stats, but his priorities are in line. ;)

TheOtherPhil
11-14-2002, 07:09 PM
Hi RogerAdam...nice seeing you over here. I am dieing to see what you can do with DF....you certainly surprised us TGC'er with G@H.

:shocked: :notworthy :shocked:

bwkaz
11-14-2002, 11:05 PM
Try looking at http://www.distributedfolding.org/Download.html to see which clients are available. ;)

Yes, there is an Alpha Tru64 port, along with many many others. And the textmode (or service) version works a lot faster than the screensaver version, if you didn't see that anywhere else.

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
11-14-2002, 11:14 PM
RogerAdam, Brian has installed on clusters, as well as Jodie from OverClockers Collective.

Either one of them should know how to roll out to the cluster.

Jodie can be found at http://www.overclockers-network.com/forums/UBBThreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=&w3

Her handle is Lara over there.

Ni!

vsemaska
11-15-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by RogerAdam
Great, I'll get someone on installing clients in th near future. You have Tru64 clients??? I went to your homepage and noticed only a windows screensaver (then again I really didn't dig beyond the first page), I have Alpha's that can do this, also is there a way to run 1 instance on clusters, or do I have it setup as 1 dir per/cpu? Lastly do I have the ability to use a port of my selection? (forgive the last question, I may've asked it wrong as I was talking to my IT Director about this and he asked me something along these lines)

I assume you're talking about TruCluster. Either way you have to have one directory per cpu.

Brian the Fist
11-15-2002, 09:59 AM
As for the 'port' question, all communication is destined to port 80, just like a web browser, and cannot be changed. You CAN use a HTTP proxy though. See docs for details and answers to most of your questions, including what to do with clusters - the short answer is just put a copy of the program on each node, and also take a look at the 'update proxy daemon' which is a separate program which will take care of downloading updates when they occur, and then individual nodes download the update from your local machine rather than our server, saving you some bandwidth when updates occur.

runestar
11-15-2002, 02:45 PM
I am contemplating running DF on my business's machines, I own them. I've one concern, what would be "too much" if there is such a thing - I do not wish to stall the project inadvertantly. I'm looking to start after Thanksgiving, hopefully getting the client into as many if not all machines after the New Year. I've reserved an OC3 just for this if I need more than that let me know. Any conversation on particulars - please PM me I would rather talk in private.

OC3?? Sheesh, maybe we should host it off his line, Howard. =)

RS½

RogerAdam
11-15-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
As for the 'port' question, all communication is destined to port 80, just like a web browser, and cannot be changed. You CAN use a HTTP proxy though. See docs for details and answers to most of your questions, including what to do with clusters - the short answer is just put a copy of the program on each node, and also take a look at the 'update proxy daemon' which is a separate program which will take care of downloading updates when they occur, and then individual nodes download the update from your local machine rather than our server, saving you some bandwidth when updates occur.

Ok, thanks. I have assigned this to a few of the interns here, and they say they can do they above, they had tried this before on a smaller scale with another DC project and at the time it didn't seem to work, so I pulled the plug, however some months later points show up from seemingly from nowhere, so apparently they did get the proxy to work, I don't want to make a story of it - let's just say that said project wasn't exactly run as it should've been. M2K was correct about this project management's quick response time to the donor base, I appreciate that. I'm trying to sway a "partner" (a friend who owns a large company), I don't know if he's biting, but hopefully I can get him to join in, he has much more than I can muster. Thanks for the prompt reply.

I must say I'm very impressed, looking at that client page it surely gives the impression DF wants as many donors as possible. Were all the clients for various CPU's/OS's developed out of the gate, or was it in response to the community you have built? In either case it is impressive.

FoBoT
11-15-2002, 10:39 PM

I'm trying to sway a "partner" (a friend who owns a large company).....he has much more than I can muster.

:shocked:

Were all the clients for various CPU's/OS's developed out of the gate, or was it in response to the community you have built?

howard started with just windows and linux, as i recall
but Howard is EXTREMELY receptive to community input. if a BS request is made, howard says "that is stupid, no way" , but if it has merit and is doable, howard gets it done. i believe he added all the various *nix clients (and even BEOS!) due to requests (and with some help from users in some cases, i believe) , so as an early DF'er, i vouch for howard as a stand up guy, A++++ top notch DC program running man ;)

runestar
11-16-2002, 01:36 AM
DF is relatively a small-fries project, although its slowly growing.

A couple of things keep people loyal and coming to the project:

1. The all-encompassing there is very good feedback between the community and the founders, mostly namely Howard. Howard stays very much in touch with the people running his project, and people rightly feel that they aren't just waiting for an unknown person to address their issues and concerns.

2. A rather secure system against hacks and cheats. Its not perfect, nothing is.. but its fairly well thought out... more so than some older projects. Part of that is perhaps a little overcaution on the side of privacy. But you don't have to worry about spam or hack attacks short of you telling people your "handle" or e-mail.

One other point is that the client auto-updates. Some other projects supposedly do this, but DF seems to be the best at this. There's no having to go back to the website, remember URLs, find the right version... the client will auto-update if you let it. This is especially helpful if you are running a number of systems. No running around to every system to install a new version. This isn't perfect but considering the wide variety of configurations of machines and OS, this isn't surprising.

Best,

RuneStar½

MAD-ness
11-16-2002, 02:08 AM
Scoofy12 and the guys at uh, that bionformatics company, also have run the DF client on clusters.

Brian the Fist
11-16-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by runestar½
[B]DF is relatively a small-fries project, although its slowly growing.
1. The all-encompassing there is very good feedback between the community and the founders, mostly namely Howard. Howard stays very much in touch with the people running his project, and people rightly feel that they aren't just waiting for an unknown person to address their issues and concerns.

That's because Howard IS 'the people' running the project... easy to keep in touch with myself :cool:

One other point is that the client auto-updates. Some other projects supposedly do this, but DF seems to be the best at this. There's no having to go back to the website, remember URLs, find the right version... the client will auto-update if you let it. This is especially helpful if you are running a number of systems. No running around to every system to install a new version. This isn't perfect but considering the wide variety of configurations of machines and OS, this isn't surprising.

Yep, I knew right from the beginning if I wanted to do wht I was settingout to do, this would be extremely important. I couldnt expect thousands of people to go to the website and downlaod new software every week, its almost absurd to expect that.

Brian the Fist
11-16-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by FoBoT

howard started with just windows and linux, as i recall
but Howard is EXTREMELY receptive to community input. if a BS request is made, howard says "that is stupid, no way" , but if it has merit and is doable, howard gets it done. i believe he added all the various *nix clients (and even BEOS!) due to requests (and with some help from users in some cases, i believe) , so as an early DF'er, i vouch for howard as a stand up guy, A++++ top notch DC program running man ;)

Well lets just be technically correct here. Originally we supported Windows, Linux, PPC linux, IRIX, Solaris, Tru64 and HP-UX. We compile all the source code in our lab (about 5 or 6 different projects) on all these different platforms and always write platform independent code. Then I went on an OS binge and built a QNX, FreeBSD and BeOS machine that we could compile on. BeOS was the only one that required any work.. We also fought briefly with Plan9 and a couple others, with emphasis on briefly.

Then Intel gave us a copy of their Linux compiler, so we added the icc build. As soon as we got OS X we added that too. And at some point we added PA-RISC Linux just cuz we had some crappy old HP boxes lying around as doorstops.

So about the only thing that was added by user requests was a solaris 64 bit version (which I hear is slower than the 32-bit one..) and a Solaris 6 version (as opposed to Solaris 8). I've had several requests for AIX as well, but until IBM gives me a box, it won't happen. I've also had several requests for Compaq Alpha Linux, but again, I only have one Alpha running Tru64, I need another one. There was talk for a time of a PS2 port but that kind of dissipated. However, the reality of an X-box port is looking more and more possible now that people have managed to code Linux for it and other things, without the Microsoft SDK! In fact, if anyone has info on this, please contact me (trades@mshri.on.ca) and tell me what you know!

Ok, now you have the facts.

:)

FoBoT
11-16-2002, 03:20 PM
:o

well, at least i got your name right! :D

;)

RogerAdam
11-17-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by FoBoT
:o

well, at least i got your name right! :D

;)

Fobot makes a good point! -in this "who you know world" ;)

I'm getting a feel for the client on a few machines right now, so far so good.

FoBoT
11-17-2002, 06:48 PM
this console (especially as a service) client is superior to most/all

the only one similar is the G@H client

DF client has many features i require that G@H also had (well the .99 client is still working but , well, ... nevermind, no need to go into all of that :o )

the bandwidth change that howard made recently has been a HUGE benefit to me, the high bandwidth that was previously required was my only complaint

anybody with a big farm needs to be sure and consider using the update daemon , downloading 5-7MB updates to multiple boxen can be an issue for some, the update download daemon simplfies the process for farmers