PDA

View Full Version : improvements needed

Samidoost
11-23-2002, 12:32 AM
Hi all

If these features could be added to the windows client then I could run it on many more machines:

(a) a password for the menus of the program
Currently each user can freely change the settings of the client, stop or restart it, changes the user or team name and free the buffer... :haddock:

(b) hide the icon
If the process could be hidden from task list, so much the better.:help:

(c) add the client as a service
So that it could be executed even when no one have logged in.;)

everyone: If you need more such features, please list here.
Louie: PLEASE provide these in your - remarkable - program.

Payam

Halon50
11-23-2002, 01:46 AM
Ooh ooh, a new wishlist! Thanks for posting Mr. Samidoost! :cheers:

1) Autodetection and spawning an extra process from within the client when run on an SMP system (I got it right this time! :) ). I remember a "teaser" pic of your client with 2 workunits in progress on it shown a month or so ago. As it stands now, I have to manually start both normal and SMP processes, as they tend to get mixed up during startup (the SMP client sometimes starts first, preventing the normal client from starting). What would really help as a temporary fix is an additional "checkbox" that would let the client automatically start crunching when run, as opposed to automatically starting and crunching at bootup.

2) Removing all traces of the client from the Windows Registry hive. This will help eliminate some multi-user problems as well as help us hide the client from well-meaning but really dumb cubicle workers who tend to think 100% CPU utilization is bad. It may also help fix some cross-platform *nix issues, as all config and data files (and maybe even temp files) can be stored in one directory which can be moved around independent of any registry settings. This works really well for Distributed Folding; I would like to see it put to use here too. :)

3) A way to start/stop clients by remote. Again, I really liked how Distributed Folding implemented this through use of a ".lock" file which, when deleted, would gracefully shut down and exit the client. It will really help attract the large-distribution power-hitters to your project if you could make it script-friendly (after fixing that nagging *nix bug, of course :rolleyes: ).

shifted
11-23-2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Halon50
3) A way to start/stop clients by remote. Again, I really liked how Distributed Folding implemented this through use of a ".lock" file which, when deleted, would gracefully shut down and exit the client. It will really help attract the large-distribution power-hitters to your project if you could make it script-friendly (after fixing that nagging *nix bug, of course :rolleyes: ).

If there is one feature i wish for, this is it :) Basically, every time the cache is written, also check if the .lock file still exists... shouldn't be too difficult to implement... but right now, the "real" os aka *nix bug needs to be fixed first ;)

Mystwalker
11-23-2002, 11:36 AM
Samidoost:
Just look here (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1881)
You can use FireDeamon to make a SB service. Plus, the icon can be hidden and thus no user communication is possible. :smoking:

Halon50
11-24-2002, 02:03 AM
Ooh, got another one: add the team name of the individual's team (if any) onto the individual member stat pages.

Samidoost
11-24-2002, 02:19 AM
Thanks for your hint, MystWalker
and thanks to smh for solution

Also thanks to Halon50 and shifted for their other suggestions

I will download the FireDaemon, install it, and will report here the result. Hope that it works :notworthy

Payam

Stricker
11-25-2002, 02:15 AM
i know this has been over emphasized bu fix the linux bug first cause if you look at my graphs you will see when my linux machine seg faults