PDA

View Full Version : req: sob service install

CyberWire
11-30-2002, 02:55 PM
if someone can tell me how to install SOB as a service that doesnt show any indication that the program is running(including sys tray and task monitor) in windows XP professional, I can get 13xP4 1.8G machines added to this project. I've tried firedaemon and i cant seem to get it to run totally hidden. any suggestions?

Mystwalker
11-30-2002, 05:51 PM
Hm, did you follow the instructions of the "windows xp - ..." thread: ( http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1881 ) ?

When I tried it that way, it worked very well.
Oh, small tip:
Just restart the computer. AFAIK the icon won't show up then...

CyberWire
12-03-2002, 04:36 AM
i still get an icon in systray when i leave auto start on windows boot enabled in the client.. i need this to be totally hidden.

smh
12-03-2002, 06:00 AM
I haven't tried it myself, but a quick Google gave me http://www.xdesksoftware.com/systrayx.html which seems to do what you want.

But i guess the program will still be visible on the processes tab in taskmanager. And of course, ther will be 100% cpu utilization

CyberWire
12-03-2002, 07:04 AM
that program works great excelt that it shows up on task manager :(

smh
12-03-2002, 09:37 AM
Of course you can always disable the use of task manager for certain users.

I can tell you how if thats an option

CyberWire
12-03-2002, 02:57 PM
i also noticed a system speaker beep on startup after i installed that software.. man this is mor of a pain than i'd hoped.

Tax Bracket
12-03-2002, 07:34 PM
Change the executable name from sb.exe to System Idle Process.exe or something windowsie sounding.

That way it will not be that noticable in the task manager

:cheers:

Mystwalker
12-03-2002, 09:05 PM
How 'bout "Nasty backdoor.exe" :p

btw. with "that it shows up on task manager" do you mean SB or systrayx?

CyberWire
12-03-2002, 09:53 PM
systrayx

Mystwalker
12-04-2002, 07:35 AM
Firedaemon does, too. :(

Hm, I'm not sure... As systrayx should not be needed anymore once the service is created, can't it be stopped?

smh
12-04-2002, 08:38 AM
Why is it such a problem that it shows up in task manager?

Are users of that computers going to stop the program from running? (in that case, just set the program to restart after it's quit. By setting the interval a bit higher than the default 5 seconds (say a couple of minutes, or even an hour) the program will start again.

Or you are running the program sneaky on someone elses computer and you don't want them to know you did?

CyberWire
12-06-2002, 04:16 AM
its just that the owner of the office doesnt want anything visible to the end users. plus leaving it visible like that leave it open to the users playing around with it and changing info. a built in service install would be perfect.. or even a -hide optin on the client so that i can manually add the service. until then the machines are going to be working on the dnet rc5-72 contest. Which is a shame because i feel this project to be much more productive.