PDA

View Full Version : I was just wondering

Bigred
10-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I was just wondering if you all could use a little help with this Boinc crunching thing you're doing?:umm:

Bok
10-28-2009, 06:12 PM
absolutely :)

what projects are you interested in?

Welcome to Free-DC :Hugger:

Bok

LAURENU2
10-29-2009, 12:27 AM
I will 2Nd that :welcome:

Bigred
10-29-2009, 02:33 AM
I'm currently running Collatz, Climate prediction and Virtual pairie.

Warp drive engaged.

Team production should have just doubled.:cool:

gopher_yarrowzoo
10-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Roger Bigred, well see how the figures play out... Welcome to the team :hiya:
Oh one thing, ya like to BBQ :cow: ?? Just sometimes we have a big old BBQ and sometimes flatten some DPC members shame to let all the meat go to waste :rotfl:

Bok
10-29-2009, 07:39 AM
nice output on Collatz! What kind of GPU's are you running ?

Bigred
10-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Roger Bigred, well see how the figures play out... Welcome to the team :hiya:
The figures speak for themself. #18 (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/chart_list.php)

Oh one thing, ya like to BBQ :cow: ?? Just sometimes we have a big old BBQ and sometimes flatten some DPC members shame to let all the meat go to waste :rotfl:

I'm allways ready to grill something.:jester:

alpha
10-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Wow. :eek: Great to have you on board, Bigred!

I didn't realise Collatz had an ATI app. I've just got it up and running.

edit: By the way, is the nickname in any way derived from the cinnamon flavoured gum? :)

Bigred
10-29-2009, 04:47 PM
nice output on Collatz! What kind of GPU's are you running ?

Thanks. Let me think for a moment. I have 10 GTX260s, 2 HD4850s and a HD4890 running 24/7. I also have a HD4850 that runs a few hours each day. 2 more HD4890s are on the way.:D

Bigred
10-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Wow. :eek: Great to have you on board, Bigred!

I didn't realise Collatz had an ATI app. I've just got it up and running.

edit: By the way, is the nickname in any way derived from the cinnamon flavoured gum? :)

Make sure you keep an eye on it. One of mine has a tendency to get VPU errors every 24 hours. The name goes way back to my American high school football years. It has to do with my size and the color that my hair was.:evillaugh:

gopher_yarrowzoo
10-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh no he's a big 6ft dude who can probably trace his root back to Scotland.

LAURENU2
10-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Got any Big Brothers that want to join US:Pokes:
:idea:We have more power then members :lmao:

Bigred
10-30-2009, 03:55 AM
Oh no he's a big 6ft dude who can probably trace his root back to Scotland.

Very close. I'm 6ft, 225 lbs and that would be Ireland.:hiya:

Bigred
10-30-2009, 04:06 AM
Got any Big Brothers that want to join US:Pokes:
:idea:We have more power then members :lmao:

No brothers. But I'm going to change my strategy today. I'm going to put some of the projects I've run on each Quad to try and generate credit in all my projects. Sounds like we need a recruiting drive to drum up some members.:idea:

How long is it going to take before I can add an avatar and signature?

Bok
10-30-2009, 05:23 AM
It's normally 10 posts at which point vbulletin automatically moves you up to be in the 'member' category. But I've just done it manually, you should be able to now..

Bok :thumbs::D

outlnder
10-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Sure, go ahead, show preference to a team member, ignore us lonely competitors. We don't deserve any special attention:firedevil::gone::catfight:

Uh oh, I forgot, I'm kinda the enemy, huh. Oops, sorry. :brainfart:

Bok
10-30-2009, 08:35 AM
And you can already change your avatar anyway:)

Petey
10-30-2009, 08:44 AM
ARS-outlnder: Uh oh, I forgot, I'm kinda the enemy, huh. Oops, sorry.

Come off it ARS-outlnder, we all know you are a free-dc wannabe really :D

LAURENU2
10-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Sure, go ahead, show preference to a team member, ignore us lonely competitors. We don't deserve any special attention:firedevil::gone::catfight:

Uh oh, I forgot, I'm kinda the enemy, huh. Oops, sorry. :brainfart:

You know if you shaved that ARS off your Face
you might LQQk like a Normal guy

___________:eek:_________:jester:

gopher_yarrowzoo
10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
You know if you shaved that ARS off your Face
you might LQQk like a Normal guy

___________:eek:_________:jester:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry Bigred - Scotland, Ireland are close to each other sort of...

Bigred
10-31-2009, 04:49 PM
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry Bigred - Scotland, Ireland are close to each other sort of...

Not a problem. Did you happen to notice that the team made in excess of 1,000,000 credits yesterday?:guntotin:

Nitrousine
10-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Bigred, Welcome to the team! :thumbs:

LAURENU2
11-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Not a problem. Did you happen to notice that the team made in excess of 1,000,000 credits yesterday?:guntotin:
Ya I am Sorry about that I will Try to Do Better tomorrow :hair: I get sidetracked sometimes:lmao:

Petey
11-01-2009, 07:45 AM

Absolutely awesome output :clap: welcome to the team BigRed!

alpha
11-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Make sure you keep an eye on it. One of mine has a tendency to get VPU errors every 24 hours.

So far, so good.

Do you have any single instance of BOINC splitting your (ATI) GPU time between multiple projects, such as Milkyway and Collatz? That's what I'm attempting at the moment, but BOINC is giving Milkyway no GPU time whatsoever unless I suspend Collatz. I suspect it would prioritise Milkyway if the deadlines were imminent, but I would rather have a 50/50 split between them. I'm sure that should just "work", like splitting CPU time between projects (I have everything set to a 100 share).

I wonder if the duration correction factor has anything to do with it. It's 0.0818 for Collatz and 6.5804 for Milkyway.

Sorry to be a little off topic in this thread!

Bigred
11-05-2009, 03:56 PM
So far, so good.

Do you have any single instance of BOINC splitting your (ATI) GPU time between multiple projects, such as Milkyway and Collatz? That's what I'm attempting at the moment, but BOINC is giving Milkyway no GPU time whatsoever unless I suspend Collatz. I suspect it would prioritise Milkyway if the deadlines were imminent, but I would rather have a 50/50 split between them. I'm sure that should just "work", like splitting CPU time between projects (I have everything set to a 100 share).

I wonder if the duration correction factor has anything to do with it. It's 0.0818 for Collatz and 6.5804 for Milkyway.

Sorry to be a little off topic in this thread!

Splitting GPU time with Milkyway doesn't work. The main reason is that it uses the anonymous platform to fool Boinc into thinking it is running on the CPU. The Collatz ATI GPU application is a true GPU application and works as it should provided your running Boinc 6.10.xx or higher.

I can also tell you that the Nvidia(Cuda) applications don't always work well together either. That is just mostly one application not wanting to relinquish its hold on the system.

I hope this helps.:taz:

alpha
11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Ah, OK. I'm actually using the anonymous platform for both Collatz and Milkyway on BOINC 6.10.17 at the moment, but I don't really mind. I suppose all these kinks will get worked out in time.

Bigred
11-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Ah, OK. I'm actually using the anonymous platform for both Collatz and Milkyway on BOINC 6.10.17 at the moment, but I don't really mind. I suppose all these kinks will get worked out in time.

I would say that you should make a decision on which one you want to run and stick with that one only. Run Milkyway if you want the most credit and don't mind the small cache and frequent downtime. Run Collatz for less credit but a larger cache that makes up for the downtime. If you're going to run Collatz I would recommend that you not run the anonymous app but let it download the standard ATI gpu app. The Boinc scheduler seems to work better that way.:D

Digital Parasite
11-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Nice, so with the new official 6.10.x releases, if you have an ATI GPU and the project supports GPU it will automatically download and use the GPU app?

Will it also automatically download and use CPU apps too at the same time or how does that work?

Jeff.

Bok
11-06-2009, 11:03 AM
yes, CPU and GPU work as long as it's available and of course depends on your preferences too..

If the project server is on one of the later code revisions there are preferences you can set which control which type of work you want to do (both or only one type)

Bok

Bigred
11-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Nice, so with the new official 6.10.x releases, if you have an ATI GPU and the project supports GPU it will automatically download and use the GPU app?
It will provided there is an ATI application available. So far to the best of my knowledge, Collatz is the only project that this works on. Even though you can use an ATI Gpu on milkyway it is not a supported app.

Will it also automatically download and use CPU apps too at the same time or how does that work?

Jeff.

Like Bok said there are preferences that can be set but there are some things to be considered first. I'll use my highest producing system as an example. It is an old Semp 3000 single core machine with a HD4890 GPU. Without crunching on the Cpu it generates upward of 100,000 credits a day. If I turn on Cpu crunching too then the total output drops because the GPU sometimes has to wait on the Cpu. This is not the case with newer systems but it lets me get an extended life out of a virtually obsolete cruncher.:cool:

Digital Parasite
11-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys, I will try out my ATI 4870 on Collatz and see how that goes. I'm hoping I can configure things so that BOINC will give the GPU time to Collatz and all the CPU time to Rosetta@Home at the same time.

Bigred
11-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Thanks guys, I will try out my ATI 4870 on Collatz and see how that goes. I'm hoping I can configure things so that BOINC will give the GPU time to Collatz and all the CPU time to Rosetta@Home at the same time.

That is simple enough to do. Just go to your account on Collatz and edit Resource Share and Graphics. Make sure Use GPU is set to yes and use CPU is set to no. Everything else should work just fine.:moto: