PDA

View Full Version : Step by step install of boinc on YDL

KC9GPJ
11-30-2009, 01:50 PM
So, I got YDL 6.2 on my PS3 without any trouble, but I'm clueless when it comes to installing software onto linux.

I tried a bunch of different forums and walkthroughs, but each walkthrough was for a slightly different version of linux.

For starters, could I get a link of which client to download?

Bok
11-30-2009, 02:12 PM
What are you trying to install onto the PS3 ?

dnet? folding, boinc ?

gopher_yarrowzoo
11-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Bok > Clue in the subject header: Step by step install of BOINC on YDL
it's a step by step for BOINC on YDL he's after - I can't help as I don't got a console let alone a PS/3..

Bok
11-30-2009, 05:23 PM
ugh, I COMPLETLEY missed seeing that!

Too much debugging of code(work) all day !

ok, to install BOINC on linux.

1. put the package in a directory somewhere (let's say it's called boinc_6.10.13_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh)
2. In that directory, type the following
sh boinc_6.10.13_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh
3. This will create a directory called BOINC
4. cd BOINC
5. ./boinc --help to get commandline options for adding projects

It might be easier to use the manager from another PC though.

I can help with configuring remote access if you need it.

Bok

KC9GPJ
11-30-2009, 05:41 PM
ugh, I COMPLETLEY missed seeing that!

Too much debugging of code(work) all day !

ok, to install BOINC on linux.

1. put the package in a directory somewhere (let's say it's called boinc_6.10.13_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh)
2. In that directory, type the following
sh boinc_6.10.13_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh
3. This will create a directory called BOINC
4. cd BOINC
5. ./boinc --help to get commandline options for adding projects

It might be easier to use the manager from another PC though.

I can help with configuring remote access if you need it.

Bok

hmmm....ok

well, that makes sense. I just don't know enough cmds for linux and how the OS is organized. I guess I need to do some learning of my own.

Is that the 32 bit version of boinc (boinc_6.10.13_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh)? The PS3 is 64 bit, right? Also, is the PS3 even very efficient? I mean have any of the @homes optimized work for the PS3 Cell?

Bok
11-30-2009, 06:01 PM
That is a 32bit boinc I gave as an example. Substitute for whichever one you want to install. I think PS3 uses 64bit client.

As for directory, just do it in the /home/<user> directory where <user> is whatever you have setup.

IIRC, I think only Yoyo@home has a PS3 client now for it's dnet subproject. GPUGRID did but they are deprecating I believe :(

It's definitely efficient at the dnet project though for sure..

Bok

endless mike
12-01-2009, 09:28 PM
GPUgrid did end the PS3 part of their project, which is unfortunate. At least I managed to break 1 million cobbles before they stopped.

There's also primegrid, specifically the AP26 subproject. See this thread on the primegrid message board.http://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=1420

As for installing the BOINC, I just double click on the boinc_client to start the client, and double click on boincmgr to start the manager. I haven't spent enough time with linux to figure out how to make the client start automatically when the system boots up. Maybe someone else knows how to do that and can walk us through that.

KC9GPJ
12-19-2009, 12:43 AM
well, I finally got it working

I can only get primegrid to work though /=

what is dnet?....I can't find anything about it on google

alpha
12-19-2009, 03:17 AM
distributed.net