PDA

View Full Version : having trouble with the win32-client

MBlaster
12-16-2002, 04:13 AM
hi

i'm running SB100 on a Win98SE-machine and my problem is that everytime i start the client it says "waiting for user to press start" but as you can see on the screenshot there's no start-button (i already tried the "stop" but this button crashes the client)...

shifted
12-16-2002, 05:42 AM
Tried reinstalling? Beyond that, i'll have to leave this problem to others' suggestions.

MBlaster
12-16-2002, 05:55 AM
that was the first thing i've done after i got the thought that this could be a client-side problem...

CyberWire
12-24-2002, 06:20 PM
try changin yer username and then clearing cache and then changing username bac and clearing agian.. may help

MBlaster
12-25-2002, 10:13 AM
hmm... actually, i'm just a SB-click-and-it-runs-user... how can i clear the cache?

eatmadustch
12-25-2002, 10:22 AM
The easiest way to clear the cache is to click on config, then change your username (to anything, it doesn't matter what). On confirming (click OK) it will ask you if you want to clear the cache (due to submission problems). Then you click on yes. After this, you go into the config again, change your username back, and clear the cache again (same procedure).
I agree, this isn't a very obvious way to clear the cache, but the client is in for a total rewrite, so maybe an easier way will be integrated into the new client!

Cowering
12-27-2002, 12:05 PM
I have someone trying to join my team, but the SB100.exe client keeps telling him this:

<Pro_Trek> You've entered a invalid username. Please check to make sure that it is alphanumeric.

"Pro_Trek" actually, the <> are from IRC quoting.

The website let him enter Pro_Trek, and i see other users with _ in their names.. so I'm at a loss to figure it out.

jjjjL
12-27-2002, 12:48 PM
yes, there is a disparity between what the website will allow you to enter as a username and what the windows client will. this is because i designed the signup for the windows client back when the old website signup also required strict alpha-numeric names.

now the website restrictions have been relaxed. actually, thinking of it, the linux/beos clients probably allow you to use about any name you want to... this is unfortunately just a windows "problem" (or a non-windows oversight, depending on how you look at it).

i haven't tried it, but if you really want to make it work before Dave and I finish the next client (which won't have as strict of username rules) you could probably edit the username directly in the registry and the client will allow it so long as you don't change your config. in other words, it only checks for a valid username when you press "OK" in the config menu... if you were to reg hack the username, i think it would display it fine and use it for submissions with no problems. the username is read in from the registry on startup so of course do this with the client not running.

the other, simpler solution would be to choose an alpha-numberic username if you have to use any windows clients in the near future. if you try my workaround and it works, leave people a message here.

-Louie

Cowering
12-27-2002, 12:58 PM
Yes, once i found a few users with _ in their names i did look for the registry entry, and it does work now, but the user is now mostly done with a block using 'protrek' name, so he will keep that name.

If there is a way for me to delete a user from my team (TeamRetro) then I can get rid of the Pro_Trek name as that user will no longer be active.

On another subject, does the website not allow 2 users with same email addr? I need to use 2 or 3 user names to differentiate several groups of cpus I want to add to the project. I need to be able to tell when one of these machines has crashed, and it will be hard to tell if I just use my normal username since the drop in production won't be obvious on the stats page.

I tried adding 'atila' with the same email i normally use, but its been two days and no email reply.

Thanks

Cowering
12-29-2002, 04:50 PM
I thought I saw somewhere that the teamname field in the SB100.exe Windows client is now ignored. Is that true?

Thanks

eatmadustch
12-30-2002, 01:52 PM
yes, that's true, you now have to enter your team online through www.seventeenorbust.com