PDA

View Full Version : Problem with proxy under windows client

rat
12-17-2002, 10:32 PM
My three windows mashines (XP home & 2000 PRO) use over 10% !!! of their time wating while comunicating with the server.
This is not a problem with my Linux-box (Gentoo).

I'm behind a squid proxy along with 2500 other users. As far as I know everybody else have the same problem. At least everybody I know.

The autoupdate function does not not work at all.

I hope some one can help me with a solution to this problem, so we can increase our effot by 10%

Go team K Net

Regards Rasmus

rat
12-17-2002, 11:34 PM
A few aditional details.

Each time the client reaches 5000 structures it writes
"UPLOADING FILESET 1/1 TO SERVER" in the top right corner. It makes some network activity and waits for 121 seconds.
Then it writes "DATA UPLOADED TO SERVER - CONTINUING" and waits another 121 seconds. After a little network activity it finaly continues folding.
I have a feeling that it is a timeout that goes horribly wrong.

Btw. we are using proxyport 5555.

I hope this helps finding a solution.

Regards Rasmus.

tpdooley
12-18-2002, 05:21 AM
While it won't decrease the timeout problems delay, if you change the upload to every 10,000 structures, (the maximum), you'll see the timeout delays half as often, and get another 4 mins worth of folding every 10k structures.
It's something I've done to minimize my wasted uploading time due to a dialup connection to an ISP that uses a satellite connection. (one of the joys of living on an island.. ;)

Good luck tracking down the solution to the proxy timeout problem.

Brian the Fist
12-18-2002, 10:12 AM
It has been tested and works fine with squid as long as your proxy.cfg contains the proper info. If it was timing out, your data would not get uploaded. Maybe thats just how long it takes to upload. Have you observed this many times, on many occasions or is this just an isolated event that you are extrapolating from? Also, do you have any errors in the error.log (you would if there were some timeouts)? If so, let me see them.

rat
12-18-2002, 10:50 AM
I have not observed it before. The Linux client does the same job in under a second.
I have a 100Mbit line to the proxyserver and it has a 100Mbit line through the university directly to the Danish internet exchange.
So we are prety sure it is not a general speed problem.
It may be some sort of incompatability between the windows client and our squid setup.
We have other ports that are routed diferent ways in and out. Could the problem be that the windows client uses other prots?

My proxy.cfg contains:
Host dtuproxy.k-net.dk
port 5555
user <my uid>
password <my Pass>

The same as with the Linux.

Brian the Fist
12-19-2002, 10:13 AM
proxy.cfg does not actually contain the words 'port', 'host', etc. right? If so you must remove them.
It is hard to say what is happening but may I suggest peeking at the squid proxy logs if you are able, this may tell you what is timing out, if anything.
Also if you can, try bypassing the squid proxy and see if the problem disappears, to verify it is indeed the proxy that is responsible.

rat
12-21-2002, 09:02 AM
The cfg-file is ok (without 'port' etc.) it's simular to the linux cfg-file.

I have talked to one of the admins. He will look at the squid logs after christmas.

Have a nice hollyday everybody :-)