PDA

View Full Version : More than one number?

Bradford
12-29-2002, 03:30 PM
Can I force my P4 to take more than one block at a time? I am still on dial-uo. ::groans::

Bradford

Hades_au
12-30-2002, 12:24 AM
The only way I've found to do it is to download the SMP client and run it at the same time, but with a lower priority. The SMP client doesn't need the 2nd cpu to run, it will just share the cycles.

eatmadustch
12-30-2002, 01:04 PM
hey, that's a great idea :) I could do that as well, as sometimes zonealarm blocks of my internet connection ... do you know if that gives you a performance decrease?

Xyzzy
12-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Constantly swapping the dataset out of L2 cache can't be a good thing, unless both datasets can fit in there... I suppose you'd have a better chance of success with a Northwood P4 since it has 512K of L2...

If we had a benchmarking utility, or even knew what sort of relationship there was between the values we use and the resources they take it would be simple enough to determine...

Hades_au
12-30-2002, 04:59 PM
On the AMD's I've found a performance hit of around 10%, but when the alternative is running out of work, it doesn't matter to me. As Xyzzy suggested, the P4 Northwoods take a much smaller hit.

By having the priorities different though, it will pretty much finish the first before starting on the second.

For those who aren't permamently connected to the net, it makes sense, esp. with the smaller tests.

cjohnsto
12-30-2002, 08:27 PM
I stopped working on this project because of this exact reason. Although i still follow it. I finish more than one test a day so I spend a lot of time idle when I havent connected for a while. Run two clients you say? I would rather run a different client than waste the time.

Xyzzy
12-30-2002, 08:37 PM
We all run Prime95 as a backup... That way no cycles are ever lost... Until SOB borks it will consume 98%+ of the available cycles...

It helps that our team does both... :)