PDA

View Full Version : linux client

eatmadustch
01-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Hi
I've just started with linux, so needless to say, I'm not very good yet. I have a few questions about the sob client

how do you make a username (I can't remember if i did this) and how do you find out if you've got a username and what it is (stats won't work, I've got too many other faster computers running sob)

does sob come with any special features? Like can you for instance do something fancy like sb --displaymore ore something linke that?

thanks for any help!

Firebirth
01-13-2003, 03:49 PM
well... your username is set in the sclient.conf file (just browse read down, till you find the spot!), which pobably lies in the same directory as sb.

You run the client by typing

./sb sclient.conf

in the directory where it is placed (which you propably knew!). - And no! - There is really no fancy features to the client.

eatmadustch
01-13-2003, 04:04 PM
oh, and another question that just popped into my mind ... is there a nicer way to close the client rather than to term or kill it?

Pascal
01-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Perhaps with

init 0 :D

larsivi
01-15-2003, 08:55 AM
I just started testing the client on linux. Since it is not my comp, I can only run the client when I'm there. After the client committed the first block, I killed it with ctrl-c, finding no other way.

Then I started it again to see if my previous results were cached, which they was, but not after the block delivery. Instead of continiuing at 2.19% (were the block was completed) it restarted at 1.9%.

Isn't the result cached after committing a block, or is the percentages wrong somehow?

Lars Ivar

eatmadustch
01-15-2003, 11:13 AM
I don't think this has anything to do with linux ... I thought this was like this too with the windows client! If you exit and restart the client then you do lose some work, don't you (I don't know, I never switch sob off ;))

larsivi
01-15-2003, 12:15 PM
In Windows, I can click the "stop"-button, caching the result. Exiting is some other button.

Lars Ivar

Mystwalker
01-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Exiting the Windows client without stopping it first results in a small loss of work. With the Linux client, it should be comparable - except that the stop button is missing here... :(

XTale
01-15-2003, 05:03 PM
would be nice if the linux client would work on Intel XEON PCs - we have 20 XEONS at work - but the SoB Client just gives me a segfault when starting (it works on the normal PIII)

jjjjL
01-15-2003, 08:30 PM
XTale - you may want to try a slightly older version of SB until the new client comes out. maybe that will the xeon crash. i've never heard of this issue, but go ahead and try this:

http://linux.redbird.com/~alien88/sbust097-Linux.tar.gz

Also, everyone above is right, the client only caches every 10 minutes so the linux client may lose small amounts of work when killed. In future clients, I'll make a proper exit catch for at least CTRL+C so it can cache immediately before exit.

-Louie

XTale
01-16-2003, 12:35 PM
ok, the old client starts on the XEON machine - but there's no team-entry in the config file :(

Firebirth
01-16-2003, 02:27 PM
The team entry in the config file is not used any more...