PDA

View Full Version : NetBSD/alpha binaries?

mcguire
01-14-2003, 09:37 AM
Hi folks. I have several beefy multiprocessor Alpha systems here which are running NetBSD. They have some spare cycles, and it'd be nice to add them to the list of machines on which I'm running distributed folding. Is there any chance of getting this platform supported? I'm happy to do the port if the project's leaders are interested.

Thanks,
-Dave

Brian the Fist
01-14-2003, 02:24 PM
We are always interested in new ports. However, we do have the strict requirement that it must be built here, locally, since we compile all our code weekly. If we ever get another Alpha box, we will likely put Linux on first, and if we get a third one, BSD.

In the mean time, you may be able to get Tru64 binaries to run under some sort of emulation mode I think (dont quote me on that).

mcguire
01-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Hello howard, thanks for replying. Where is your facility located? I have several older Alpha systems that are surplus to my operation due to having been replaced by newer systems...They're very low-end systems but they'd be fine to use as build boxes. I might be able to send you some for a little web page credit. ;)

-Dave

Brian the Fist
01-15-2003, 09:50 AM
We are in Toronto, Canada. We would graciously accept any donations of functional compile-machines. Because we are a hospital, we may be able to issue a tax receipt as well although I don't know how that works if you are outside Canada. If you are seriously considering this, we can discuss by e-mail (trades@mshri.on.ca).

Thanks.