PDA

View Full Version : SoBSieve Issues and suggestions

MikeH
01-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Paul has done a great job with the SoBSieve, and I do realise that we are still in the "hot off the press" stage, but I have a few simple suggestions that would certainly help me a lot.

1. I would like to include the SoBSieve in my Windows StartUp group. At the moment this isn't possible because I have to press the 'Start' button. Even then, I get another dialogue asking if the remaining range is correct! Best solution would be when SoBSieve starts it checks .dat file - if it's part way through a test, just continue. If you've finished or never started, then OK to behave as current.

2. In the event of power failure, exactly where will SoBSieve re-start from. If I exit correctly, then the current p is saved, but I don't see any evidence of (10 minute) save files. Any chance this could be added (Paul could you please clarify the current situation).

3. (minor) Once the SoBSieve is in the tray, I have to double click twice (that's four clicks) to maximise.

I have lots of other suggestions, but for the moment let's stick with the important stuff. Most important for me right now is (1).

Thanks to Paul in anticipation.
Mike.

RangerX
01-21-2003, 08:02 PM
I have the same problem with the tray icon.

ceselb
01-22-2003, 05:45 AM
Try switching priority to normal. That helped on my box (w2k).

Nuri
01-22-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by MikeH

2. In the event of power failure, exactly where will SoBSieve re-start from. If I exit correctly, then the current p is saved, but I don't see any evidence of (10 minute) save files. Any chance this could be added (Paul could you please clarify the current situation).

I'm not sure but it seemed to me like it saves when it finds a factor.

paul.jobling
01-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Hi guys,

I have only just noticed this thread - sorry!

1. I would like to include the SoBSieve in my Windows StartUp group. At the moment this isn't possible because I have to press the 'Start' button. Even then, I get another dialogue asking if the remaining range is correct! Best solution would be when SoBSieve starts it checks .dat file - if it's part way through a test, just continue. If you've finished or never started, then OK to behave as current.

It now behaves in this way.

OK, SoBSieve will restart from the last entry in the SoB.dat file. This will be a pmin= entry when you press exit; otherwise it will be a p | k.2^n+1 entry. However, if nothing has been written to the file for an hour, a pmin= entry is written to it. Bottim line - you cannot lose more than 1 hours work.

3. (minor) Once the SoBSieve is in the tray, I have to double click twice (that's four clicks) to maximise.

Fixed.

Are there any more suggestions? I have got a version that I am working on that is not going to be any faster (sorry!), but includes cosmetic and usability features.

Regards,

Paul.

Mystwalker
01-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Maybe the priority should be saved. I have to put it back to idle every time I start the program. :(
Oh, and the info display option, too.

rosebud
02-04-2003, 09:54 AM
What might be useful is a "Find optimal alpha"-function where SobSieve would test for maybe 2 to 5 minutes different alphas and then automatically chooses the optimal one.

dudlio
02-04-2003, 09:03 PM
The newer versions of the program seem to have a strong sense of being "in progress" or "done." Once in progress, you can't re-enter the p range, and when it's done, you get a fairly intimidating message about wiping the status file.

The program assumes that it will traverse the two states without consequence. I think what's missing is an abort :)

Mystwalker
02-05-2003, 07:26 AM
As a workaround, you can just edit the SoBStatus.dat ...

paul.jobling
02-05-2003, 08:24 AM
The program assumes that it will traverse the two states without consequence. I think what's missing is an abort

You can delete/rename the SoBStatus.dat file to do this.

Netbrian
02-06-2003, 06:50 PM
I know it sounds a bit pithy, but it'd really help me a lot if it'd be possible to cut the amount of before the pmin entry is written from one hour to a half hour? It'd help me at least a lot!