PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to change a win98 box to linux?

Davdog
01-28-2003, 09:13 PM
My win 98 box seems to be running faster than my XP box with the same proc, though the XP is serving as a gateway and my main machine too. Will I crunch more structures by going to Linux? The HD is only about 2 gigs, though I have 256 megs ram. the box is strictly a cruncher, so I dont care about other functionality. I know enough about linux to be dangerous so I should be able to make the change pretty easily...

Dave

Paratima
01-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi, Davdog. I don't think you'll see as much difference between W98 and Linux as you do between XP and 98. Win98 is my long-time favorite for a "quick setup" for folding. It's just such a no-brainer to get running NOW, when you're really in a rush.

For maximum network flexability, though, I'd pick Linux in a heartbeat. Try it and see. It's not likely to run slower! ;)

bwkaz
01-29-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Paratima
It's not likely to run slower! ;) Most of the time. ;)

On a default RedHat install, though, with all the services that they have running (and even with Mandrake, who does the same thing), it might bog it down a bit.

Most of this stuff can be turned off; if you're worried about something, post what it is and someone would be happy to help, I'm sure.

Dyyryath
01-29-2003, 12:09 AM
In most cases, the client seems to run faster under Linux than Windows, but as always: Your Mileage May Vary.

Davdog
01-29-2003, 02:42 AM
I suppose I could benchmark it in 98, make the change, then try to benchmark again and see how it all washes out.. is there something for linux similar to the dfGUI? I love dfgui, simple and it works...

Dave

bwkaz
02-02-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Davdog
is there something for linux similar to the dfGUI? I love dfgui, simple and it works... No, there isn't.

Yet.

:D

(I'm taking the dfGUI Borland C++Builder source and reimplementing it in Qt Designer, to get a Linux/Qt version. I'll post something somewhere when it's done. It'll probably require g++, make, and libqt-devel-3.1, though it might work with earlier libqt-devel packages. It will have to be at least v3.0, though.)

Dyyryath
02-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Ah, I'm glad to hear this! I was considering something similar myself, but I've just got too much on my plate at the moment.

Thanks, bwkaz! :thumbs:

bwkaz
02-09-2003, 10:58 PM
<whispering>

*psst!*

Dyyryath and Davdog, if you happen to care about this, check out the DF Project Forum. :D

</whispering>