PDA

View Full Version : MilkyWay@home milkyway3 v0.02 source released

Free-DC
06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
As I said before, we're moving over to a new application. Here's a preliminary version that we'll be using to test it's validator and assimilator. It's going to have to be updated with a new fitness function which uses a different model of the Milky Way galaxy, but I'm still waiting for John Vickers to give me go ahead to start using that code -- should be later this week.
In the meantime, we can still start testing this code as it uses the same output format that John's new code will use. This new application should really improve server performance as it doesn't use search parameter files to send out new workunits, it will take the parameters from the command line instead. Additionally, it will report the fitness in stderr, which gets moved into the result's xml.
What this means is the server will be creating 1 less file for every workunit made (it currently creates 1 file), and receiving 1 less file for every result sent (it currently receives 1 file). This means sending workunits out and getting results in won't be hammering the filesystem nearly as hard. Right now the recent server crashes have been happening because the file deletion daemon just can't handle the sheer mass of WU files that are being generated, and it brings the server to a screeching halt which then crashes the other daemons. This new application should fix that problem so we really want to get everyone swapped over to it ASAP.
Contained in this news post (if you go to the forums) is the download location for the new source, and directions on how to compile and test it.
--Travis

More... (http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/forum_thread.php?id=1655)