PDA

View Full Version : New Lappy

gopher_yarrowzoo
06-24-2010, 10:36 AM
I just got myself a nice new Laptop.
This is not for gaming / crunching on it's powerful enough for what I need it for which is remote admin / working away from home, I primarily got it for my Holiday to the US, yeah that's right look out California your gonna get Gopherized :p
Laptop Spec is: Dual core Intel Celeron T3100, 2 Gb DDR3 ram which seems adequate for what I need it for a nice 320Gb HDD, DVD +/- RW and standard b/g/n wireless with a nice 15.6" widescreen. OS is Win 7 Home Prem 32-bit which is good enough:). Graphics card is nice, built in webcam / mic so I can Skype instantly :D. 3 USB ports, what looks like an SD card reader on the front, Network port, VGA connector only draw back is the mouse pad it's a PITA...

Bok
06-24-2010, 10:43 AM
sweet. As for mouse, just buy a mini usb mouse. That's what I tend to use on my laptop when on business.

Shish
06-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Very nice Gopher. I use a so called Dell business one which has dual Pentium and a lot of bits an pieces apart from an ancient Fujitsu at home. As and when I get time cos this unpaid project is still taking a lot of it, I have just got a Keysonic with built in pad etc and hotkeys which will be used on my Media Centre when I get it built. I also treat myself to a Micro$ laptop 7000 mouse which is reasonably small but with 2 side buttons configurable as well as normal scroll/push etc and is wireless. Just pull the usb plug out and click it into the mouse and it switches off. That goes into the bag for carrying. It works well on trouser legs etc but doesn't like light wood desktops for some reason. Various ones available to avoid cables, which I hate and good battery life on this one so far with a bat indicator for good or replace. Small Keysonic boards (Scan or wherever) with various pads or trackballs available so if you want to plug into a monitor, you got all you need and leave your lappy lid down with good range remote. The Keysonic has a better layout for me than either laptop and the trackpad is decent plus all the configurable stuff and switch on/off for battery saving of either the pad or keyboard or both. They do a pad at the side or bottom of the board and the key action is better that either laptop for me. TBH, I hate the dell and all rubbery keys but it's locked down to work only so I can't use it at home. My main machine has a problem so I'm stuck with the old Fuji at home till I get time and some reasonable health to sort the main one. As for portabile use I have a supplied TMobile (now part of Orange) 3/4G mobile thing which is a pitta but the reception ain't too bad (better than 3) and I can, if forced, use my TMob Google phone as a mobile modem cos the contract is good for free web use, email etc., tho' you're not supposed to do that (had to jailbreak the phone as well). If I went abroad nowadays (not allowed to fly just now) I would extend the Google phone to use that mainly as it works out a lot cheaper and is just about usable for web stuff but Skype on TMob and a lot of other nets is blocked.
Anyway, look and ask around, plenty of laptop stuff to use and easy to carry in your bag. My granddaughter is into all that and uses a mini mouse with a retractable wire which is good for smaller hands and we can't keep her off her new web phone which has to be confiscated before she goes to bed. Enjoy your hols., I'm just happy nowadays to get some peace and quiet with no phone, no emails, and out of touch via all of them cos they can even get at me if I'm bedridden and it's a bit of a strain sometimes.
Greetings to all. I'm still alive (just) but not contributing much (including long posts) to the effort till I get some time and health to sort out my boxes. Keep up the good work guys, I'll be a DC'er till I can't do it anymore.
Oh, nearly forgot, I've used most of the free and piad for remote progs/VNC etc . over the years and still use Uvnc daily almost. Ticks all the remote access boxes for security, login etc. and works really well, even for transferring large files and what ever. And it does Micro$ network admin stuff. Oh, did I mention it's still free?
Bye for now guys, keep up the good work.
Best regards, Shish.

gopher_yarrowzoo
06-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah the boss has a netbook with a mini wifi mouse looks nice :D.