PDA

View Full Version : Getting the "Free-DC Monster" project started.

MrTRS
02-16-2003, 10:57 AM
For background on "Free-DC's Monster" see http://free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2065

Ok, the success of this project as well as many others depends on involvement of the members. So why don't we follow up this thread with comments by those of you who are willing to contribute to a "Monster" project . I don't think, at this point in the project development, we need specific details. Just if you are willing to donate hardware or software in general.

And while we are at it we will eventually need a name for this venture. Probably something with "Free-DC" in it.

Ray

MrTRS
02-16-2003, 11:06 AM
As for myself I just did an upgrade to one of my home machines. I would be willing to donate, (MB and shipping) to the project.

As far as a name, "Free-DC's Hydra" has an image of a multiheaded "Monster".

What do you think?

Ray

IronBits
02-16-2003, 11:49 AM
That sounds like water but unique :)
How about,
Cetus was turned to stone when Perseus flashed the head of Medusa at him :D

MrTRS
02-16-2003, 12:14 PM
Medusa, I like it. Why don't we get as many suggestions as we can and I will post a poll in order to narrow it down?

Ray

MrTRS
02-17-2003, 04:18 PM
IronBits, there is a Beowulf cluster named Medusa:http://www.lsc-group.phys.uwm.edu/beowulf/medusa/

Do you think that would cause a conflict with our "Monster-cruncher" project?

IronBits
02-17-2003, 04:31 PM
darn :(

MrTRS
02-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Well, maybe we are makeing this nameing deal more complicated than is needed. I started these threads with the idea of a "monster project" for Free-DC in mind.

Why not just stick with what is simple. "Free-DC's Monster Project". Or Free-DC MP for short or may even just MP.

MrTRS
02-19-2003, 11:05 AM
Some more info about a previous post.

Hydra

Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English Ydra, from Latin Hydra, from Greek
1 : a many-headed serpent or monster in Greek mythology that was slain by Hercules and each head of which when cut off was replaced by two others

From Merriam-Webster online.

MrTRS
02-19-2003, 02:19 PM
I like it.

But I would think we would need to remove the numbering because someone may view that as being in second or third place. And "Free-DC" needs to be prominate in the name.

Free-DC Hydra-W (West)
Free-DC Hydra-C (Central)
Free-DC Hydra-E (East)

What do you think?

magnav0x
02-19-2003, 03:06 PM
I like