PDA

View Full Version : Want to have some influence on a new project?

pointwood
02-03-2002, 05:07 PM
There is a new DC project that has just started, it is complementary to the F@H project, but NOT run by Stanford!

You can see my intro here:
http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=122097561&m=4330901363

Now, it is possible to get some influence on how this new project and I would like to invite you guys to join the "discussion" right here:
http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=122097561&m=7110975463

Hope to see you there!

Supp
02-03-2002, 08:29 PM
Just checked and tried this project - it's really interesting.

Few points:
1)Client (SS + Console) isn't buggy and caused no problems to me as yet.

2) Statistics - no team stats (probably yet), but they're updated in real time! (hope this'll last)

3) you can view protein structure you've folded and compare it against real structure

4) comunicates over port 80 - it's http proxy friendly

Later

pointwood
02-04-2002, 03:21 AM
Regarding the team stats - you are correct. I have discussed it with him already and this is one of the important things to mention in that thread I created.

How would the *dream stats* look? Of course, since this is one person running the show, miracles aren't going to happen, but let us make a good list or discription of how we would like it to be.

Darkness Productions
02-04-2002, 04:11 PM
While I know that this isn't always an option, opening the source (if even to a small number of NDAs) would be a good thing. The project would be able to get clients for other platforms, and development might even be able to happen much faster. Think about it this way, how many projects offer Proxy support? How many of the do it well? There's the problem. Open the source, get more clients, get more features. Yeah, you'd prolly have to go with a CVS server, but nonetheless, you'd end up with a much better client overall.

guru
02-04-2002, 07:31 PM
I like the Solaris 64Bit client. It kicks ass but I'm not able to get the proxy support to work on the solaris client.

pointwood
02-05-2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by guru
I like the Solaris 64Bit client. It kicks ass but I'm not able to get the proxy support to work on the solaris client. Please post in the Ars thread, which he is watching and has replied to several times already.

If you post more details about the bug, I'm sure he will reply to you.

EDIT:
Darkness Productions - the same to you, please post in the Ars Thread about open sourcing the client. I'm personally an advocate for Open Source so I would love to see the client open sourced.

Supp
02-06-2002, 08:34 PM
For free people of Free-DC interested in this project:

FreeDC handle: 5sa2okpe

We (I)'re ('m) currently number 5 and rising!

Angus
02-07-2002, 03:54 PM
guru-

Have you been able to get it to run on a multi-cpu machine?

The HP-UX version does not seem to be multi proc aware, and tries to run each instance on cpu0

FoBoT
02-08-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Supp
For free people of Free-DC interested in this project:

FreeDC handle: 5sa2okpe

We (I)'re ('m) currently number 5 and rising!

i put FreeDC in also when i registered

Supp, how many Ghz/PC's are you using to jump up that fast?

Supp
02-08-2002, 05:33 PM
3 comps (2x1.2,1.4 all TBs)
This projects's really cool - no problems with borging friend's putters (unlike F@h and their no-cache policy)

FoBoT
02-08-2002, 06:11 PM
wow, only 3 pc's and you have half a million!

the readme said they had special code for pentium 4's, so i put a 1.8Ghz P4 onto it for the weekend, we'll see if i can get into the top ten :D

FoBoT
02-11-2002, 11:12 AM
w00t!!

i have the #8 smallest RMS/A thingy , best structure!!!! :D

not quite up to 1/4 million, but must hit the jackpot early this morning

this seems to run really well with DNET/RC5, distributedfolding gets most of the priority, but if it fills up the 6 / 30,000 due to no contact , then dnet will take up the slack when it closes

can't wait for the 1.x client, he says he'll make the amount of work configurable

i did have one client crash yesterday at work, i have to try to fix it/save the work today, when i get in there

i like this new project :)