PDA

View Full Version : Client doesn't shut down properly if no servers present

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
02-27-2003, 09:44 AM
Howard, during this last changeover I discovered a new "bug" with the existing client. Here are the symptoms:

On Windows 2000 machines, client running as a service.

DF server not available.

Start the foldtrajlite.ex service.

service creates the foldtrajlite.lock file but never kicks in to production mode because it is unable to contact DF server.

Try to shut down the foldtrajlite service by either deleting the .lock file or using net \stop servicename.

service does NOT shut down and NT service manager shows the the service is "stopping", but even after 4 hours the service never completely clears.

Forced to reboot the machine to clear the service.

I am not able to test this on the beta client because it requires your server to not be available, which is something that I don't have control over (thank goodness).

I believe that the client should be able to clear itself from running regardless of whether the DF server is available or not.

Thanks for your support. :)

Ni! :crazy:

Paratima
02-27-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
I am not able to test this on the beta client because it requires your server to not be available, which is something that I don't have control over (thank goodness). Ni! :crazy: 1. Locate CAT5 cable on rear panel.
2. Disconnect it. DF Server is guaranteed to be "not available". :D

Brian the Fist
02-27-2003, 01:02 PM
Actually KWSN, I think I know what caused that problem and I think it has been fixed on the beta though. It was teh same bug that caused a crash for some other people. I think it is trying to print an error message to a window, but doesnt have a handle to the environment. I'll try to test it myself with the beta and be sure but pretty sure that's it. Ther IS a way you can test it though.

Edit your hosts file (on Winblows this is c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) and put a line pointing beta.distributedfolding.org to some made-up address that doesn't work. That should sufficiently simulate it I think...

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
02-27-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Paratima
1. Locate CAT5 cable on rear panel.
2. Disconnect it. DF Server is guaranteed to be "not available". :D

Yes, I've tried that particular scenario, but the error is different from a server outage. The IP stack returns a network not available, which is different than host not found. I think forcing a bad ip address in the host file is a good way to test this.

Thanks everybody.