PDA

View Full Version : SOB CPU percentage

goldfish
03-03-2003, 11:46 AM
hey.

Not usually into DC projects, but is there any way to change the CPU usage SOB takes up? Problem is that i have a cruddy computer probably with an overheating problem i want to run it on, and as it takes up 100% of the CPU usage by default, is there any way to change that? If i run SOB on that computer for more than 20 mins or so the whole thing locks up. im working on fixing it, but is there any way to tweak this at all?

BTW random smileys!
:help: :haddock: :smoking: :bang:

:thumbs:

magnav0x
03-03-2003, 12:44 PM
If you click on the 'config' button in the client you can change the priority level it runs on. Set it to Idle and it will only use the extra CPU cycles that you are not using. As of right now there are no real tweaks for this client.

Bellbox
03-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Even at Idle, it will run 100% almost all the time. I had the same problem. You could try adding some cooling stuff like fans etc. but as of now, there is no way to make the client itself run 'cooler.' You aren't going to find many DC projects that will run well on a computer that has those kind of problems, they all will eventually overheat it.

Chinasaur
03-03-2003, 01:54 PM
You might try either "Rain" or "CPUIdle". They insert Halt(or sleep) commands between instructions. This "might" help...but probably won't since the prog takes all idle cycles anyway. When I used CPUIdle (3-4 years ago) it showed proc usage at 100% since the proc was getting commands to occupy it 100% of the time...it just wasn't working all that time.

'O course using either of these will subtract cycles available for crunching, but might be worth trying anyway.