PDA

View Full Version : I've Got Some Questions...

Dyyryath
02-08-2002, 10:18 AM
OK, I said awhile back that I'd help out once I finished with Ubero, so here I am!

I've added the following:

2 x 1400 Athlon
1 x 1333 Athlon
1 x 1000 Duron
2 x 2000 P4
1 x 450 P2

Here's what I need to know:

1) Is there now, or are there any plans in the future, for clients ported to other OSs?

2) Can I run multiple copies of the client on SMP boxes? Do I need to do anything special to make this work?

ColinT
02-08-2002, 01:05 PM
Dyy,

Yesterday I put 4 tbirds on D2OL. This morning, All I see is One on the stats. The same one I ran for a day last week. What gives?

Dyyryath
02-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Did you add the nodes to your membership? You need to do that.

Go to your Home Page on the Sengent site and click the 'Add Node' button at the bottom of the Node Information box.

In order to see your new nodes, they all need to be registered with the same email addy.

The stats are only updated once per day so they probably won't show up after you add them until tomorrow.

ColinT
02-08-2002, 11:05 PM
Ha, I wonder how many people never see that button? And I think the Docking Time is not clock time.

Makes no different anyway. I went back to Ubero after a day:)

The D2OL client is unstable. You'd think they would fix that.

Dyyryath
02-08-2002, 11:18 PM
Hmmm. I haven't had any problems with the client yet, but I've only been running it for a day. I guess we'll see.

I liked Ubero for it's stats, but without a real data set to work on, and with the client hanging up like it does, I'm just not ready to run it again. :(

Has anybody else noticed that only SETI and RC5 (both projects I have little interest in) are the only really solid clients?

I'd sure like to find something that I could just let run and not worry about babysitting.

Maybe I need to give GIMPS a whirl...I wonder if it's any better?

Darkness Productions
02-08-2002, 11:42 PM
ECCp has a really good client as well. And from what I hear, the server is pretty damned stable as well... You should try it. The points you get are named after me :D

CSMan
02-08-2002, 11:43 PM
I've been running D2OL for almost two months now, and haven't had a single problem. Of course I'm only running it on one computer though.. :)

I thought the Docking Time was the actual time you spent docking candidates. But I went back and looked at the total docking time, and it seems way too low. So I dunno.

badsac
02-10-2002, 02:58 AM
I'd hang with the earlier version, but everything has been sweet with the newer versions. And this is on a crappy old box that will hang from trying to run the Windows calculator. :mad:

To answer Dyys questions.

1) It seems that are just trying to get the client and the back end to this project set up the way everyone wants it and stable before they start running other clients. You can debate if that is a good idea or not, but they have previously stated that the resons they did much of the programming in Java was the portability aspects down the track. The fact that Sun is involved with the project leads me to believe that their is very little change client ports wont happen in the future.

2) Yes you can run multiple copies on dualies and no you don't need anything special to make it work. Just make sure you have two new clean installs to different directories so you have two clients with different node id's. Then run both instance. Supposedly that's all you need.