PDA

View Full Version : dfGUI 2.2beta2 client available (for DF beta)

Digital Parasite
03-20-2003, 08:20 AM
Hey everyone, I have had a few spare moments to add a couple of features to the dfGUI beta client so a new version is available for download (same link sa before).

Download new beta at:
http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfGUI/dfGUIv22beta.zip

v2.2beta2 (Mar. 19, 2003)
- # generations is now configurable in Config window.

- Config window now appears in centre of dfGUI window so people using low resolutions will still be able to see and access the window.

- Added display to keep track of best energy seen since you started the GUI.

- Added display to indicate time it took to complete the previous generation

- Added display to indicate average time it has taken to complete each generation

- Removed structures per second and minute since the new beta works more slowly these values no longer make sense

- Modified the restart the inactive client code to reduce the chance of it restarting multiple copies at the same time.

If you find any problem, please let me know.
Jeff.

Screenshot:
http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfGUI/dfGUIv22beta.gif

Drowis
04-01-2003, 08:27 AM
I know that you can never please everyone but would it be possable for you to make it controll more than one machine? I just started this prodject a day ago but I am running it on 6 machines at the moment and I have a few more to add. I was running DDOL until that went down the crapper.

Drowis
04-03-2003, 12:14 AM
anyone??

Paratima
04-03-2003, 06:33 AM
Drowis, ya gotta be patient. :)

Jeff (Digital Parasite) wrote and maintains that program as a service to the DF community & he doesn't get around to this site every day.

You can email him at jeff@gilchrist.ca .

IronBits
04-08-2003, 04:04 PM
There is a *nix port for the DFbeta client now!
http://dfgui.kadzban.is-a-geek.net :)

As I understand it, there are no plans to support multiple clients at this time. I already asked DP awhile back ;)

bwkaz
04-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Y'know, now that I'm thinking about it, multiple clients wouldn't be that hard to do -- at least, not with the way I've got it set up.

The only issue would be that the user would have to run multiple copies of the program (one for each client), and change the .rc file name for each one so they don't collide, then have the remote DF directory locally mounted somehow (through NFS, or SMB, or something). Then, you configure different directories in each .rc file, and let it go.

Killing the client would cause some issues -- I'd have to change the way it's doing it now, so that instead of running "ps -C foldtrajlite" waiting for it to exit, it would just spin on stat()'ing the progress.txt file. Once progress.txt is gone, the client's exited. That's a minor little change.

Oh, crap, no, that won't work all that well. :( Launching the client would have to be rethought... RPC maybe? I don't know enough about it to try, though...

Maybe if there was a "dfGUI daemon" running on each node, listening on port some-high-number-like-50034, then the "dfGUI monitor" machine could talk to each node when it needed something done locally. I assume anyone monitoring clients would have them networked anyway. Hmm.... that might not be a bad way to go, if I ever got enough time to try it out.

Edit: I've just changed my e-mail address to something more permanent on the main screen of this client. If you want the new address, re-download it. ;) If you don't mind, then it obviously doesn't matter.

IronBits
04-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Sounds to complex for a gui application...

Hey DP... is there a way to control the colors?
The purple background on the Current Generation progress bar makes it hard to read the percentages done...
Note the 4 days so far and only 62% done. :scared:

IronBits
04-11-2003, 05:45 PM
DP - when it shows 100% on Generations, it still has to go thru one more structure.
I would think it should show 99% complete on Generations until it finishes that last structure ;)

bwkaz
04-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Well, dfGUI is just dividing the "current generation" number by the total generations number that you gave it in the config window, and multiplying by 100 (to get a percentage). So, you can get your desired behavior by setting the total generations to either 251 or 252... if it really bothers you. ;)

I went ahead and started laying out a "server" program thingy for it. Yeah, maybe it's a bit much for a GUI app, but it will work. And it should be a bit more portable, too -- just run the server on any platform that configure knows about; you'll no longer need /proc/<anything>. It just talks over the network to the GUI window that's been assigned to its IP address.

Angus
04-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Jeff...

It looks like the v2.2Beta2 has kept the 'Best Energy so far:' number after completing the 250 generations and starting a new protein. This is the one that had the 5.50 energy number that's in the top 10 RMSDs, so it was real obvious that it kept the number.

Shouldn't that number reset when you start a new series of generations?

P.S. - I still can't figure out how to attach images to these messages... IB??

IronBits
04-14-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Angus
P.S. - I still can't figure out how to attach images to these messages... IB?? when you compose,edit, quote a msg
To the left, you see all the ICONS
below that is the Options: Panel
below that is Attach file: 'Maximum size: 104857' over on the right there is a TEXT box and a [Browse] button ;)
below that is Rate this Thread:

bwkaz
04-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Angus -- those numbers get reset (AFAIK anyway) when dfGUI gets restarted. So in theory, exiting and restarting it will fix the problem. This won't cause problems with the DF client, either, unless you've got it set up to "automatically stop the DF client on close" or whatever the setting is called.

However, that's not necessarily the best way to go about fixing issues like this. :p The Linux port definitely has this problem, too, so I'll fix that, but we're (obviously) going to have to wait for Jeff for word on the Windows version.