PDA

View Full Version : Question + bug (?)

cedricvonck
03-28-2003, 01:58 PM
I have noticed that when I receive a new test from Sob,
that the amount of blocks is getting bigger & bigger.

Is this normal??

Now this is not a problem for me but in the near future
I foresee problems => I am currently running also Seti@Home.
:D

I am afraid that I someday will return a test beyond the 10 days workunit limit.

The other problem I am having with version 1.0.0, is that when I set my log size for example 70k, the client will merilly pass beyond that. Is this a bug? :scared:

(win xp pro service pack 1)

Jwb52z
03-28-2003, 02:08 PM
As long as you send SOME of the intermittent information in every 10 days, it will not time out. The time out only happens if the server goes 10 days without hearing from the client with that particular work unit you are doing.

cedricvonck
03-28-2003, 02:14 PM
Ah ok! :crazy:

Nuri
03-28-2003, 02:17 PM
It's normal for the number of blocks in a test to increase as the n value of your test increases.

BTW, 10 days limit is not a limit to finish up the test, it's the time the server waits to hear about any progress on the test.

In other words, it's not too tight (and even the laziest machines can easily handle that much work). Of course, you should check Transmit intermediate blocks option under the config menu of the client for it to try to send information to the server at the end of each block.

I remember reading the same problem about the log size in this forum before. I guess it's due to a bug, but I'm not sure if it's hurting anyone (at least not me).

Cheers,

Nuri

Lagardo
03-28-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by cedricvonck
I have noticed that when I receive a new test from Sob,
that the amount of blocks is getting bigger & bigger.

Is this normal??

Someone posted here recently that the "block" is a pretty artificial unit of measure and just stands for some fixed number of cEM -- so as the numbers get bogger, the "number of blocks in a test" will increase -- if I understand it right that is normal and simply means we've covered the easy ground and are tackling the harder problems now...

cedricvonck
03-28-2003, 02:44 PM
ok guys! thank you very much for your input...