PDA

View Full Version : Novell sob client

OberonBob
04-24-2003, 05:26 PM
I know that there is little damand for this, but we are getting 6 new dual 2.4G Xeon computers, and they will be running Novell Netware. Our old Novell boxes are all about 500 MHz, so I didn't think it worth it to ask, but with the new boxes, I hate to waste all that power.

Any chance for a Netware sob client? and, no, I don't have any idea how one programs for netware, but I would be more than happy to beta test, alpha test or whatever.

Failing that: anyone know any DC projects that have netware clients? OGR does, I guess.....

MathGuy
04-24-2003, 09:09 PM
my only experiences programming for the Netware environment caused me to develop an uncontrollable twitch and a desire to run screaming into the night whenever I hear "Novell"

Maybe it's better now, but in the *old* days it was inutterably hideous

<twitch>

<twitch>

OberonBob
05-06-2003, 06:16 PM
I bet it was, probably still is. I assume that since there was no positive answer, the answer is no, and I can understand that.

Now, the next question:

I know Java is slow.

But, if we could have a java client, then I could run it on Novell, Mac, and heck just about everything out there. slow is alot better than these machines not doing anything.

Any thoughts?

OR!! a java sieveing client. I would be happy to be sieveing if that is all I can do. just give my poor computers something to do! I beg of you.

Mystwalker
05-06-2003, 06:28 PM
I guess a Java SoB client is not useful, as the algorythms are implemented in highly optimized assembler.
A sieve client could be more suitable. The NBeGon client is not that much slower than SoBsieve - and it's programmed in C.
Once going down to mathematic calculations and not considering graphics, Java needn't be slower than C...

But we need someone who knows who do implement mathematic algorythms in Java in an optimized way.