PDA

View Full Version : Can't make any progress on the Beta

rsbriggs
05-02-2003, 09:54 PM
Anyone have any suggestions?

Been crunching since Beta 8 came out, but not making much progress - just on Gen 50.

Ran dfGui for a little bit - it shows that I'm averaging 12 structures PER HOUR. All the generations spend the vast majority of their time doing ALTERNATE CONFORMATIONS...... (That's on my 2.66 Mhz P4 doing nothing whatsoever but running the Beta). :sleepy:

I notice that some people are well into the mid 100's. Why the heck am I running so slowly?????

===bob briggs

:help:

Paratima
05-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Hmmmm. The only way you could know that it's spending its time doing alternate conformations is if you are running the output direct to the monitor, yes?

Try running with -qt set ("Quiet Mode" in dfGUI). Constant output to the monitor is especially egregious with Win98 (not sure why), but it's bad in any OS. If you could see the percentage of time that it's taking to tell you what it's doing, you'd be amazed! Really. ;)

rsbriggs
05-07-2003, 09:30 PM
Doing better now. Did IronBits drop out of the Beta?

===bob briggs

IronBits
05-07-2003, 09:39 PM
<yawn> For the moment, might be back later...
Client is fine, just waiting for him to release it.

rsbriggs
05-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Looks like he's planning an al-go-rhythm :looney: change again tomorrow, and another round of beta testing......

===bob briggs

Insidious
05-08-2003, 09:08 PM
I really think we'd all be better off if, (assuming) the client is stable this would stop being a beta and try the different algorithms "mainstream".

It's getting difficult to maintain interest levels. Getting more and more common for folders to express feelings of wasting their time.

Let's get on to the good stuff Howard..... Purdy Pleeeeze :cool:

Paratima
05-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Insidious
Let's get on to the good stuff Howard..... Purdy Pleeeeze :cool: AMEN!

IronBits
05-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Post that over on the Distributed Folding Forum and Howard might read it ;)
http://free-dc.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=27

Chinasaur
05-08-2003, 10:24 PM
:bs: HELL NO!!!

I dont want some crashing POS like the F@H client!!!!

If it takes Howard till July to come up with a good, stable client..then it takes Howard till July to come up with a good stable, client.

I'm not going to be home 24 hours a day to babysit a POS, hanging client.

Hats off to the Beta testers who are fighting the good fight and helping to find the bugs so the greater user community can enjoy a nice, bug free existence :)

:cheers:

Insidious
05-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Chinasaur
:bs: HELL NO!!!

I dont want some crashing POS like the F@H client!!!!

If it takes Howard till July to come up with a good, stable client..then it takes Howard till July to come up with a good stable, client.

I'm not going to be home 24 hours a day to babysit a POS, hanging client.

Hats off to the Beta testers who are fighting the good fight and helping to find the bugs so the greater user community can enjoy a nice, bug free existence :)

:cheers:

In case you haven't been following along lately..... the "mainstream" DF client is having significant complaints of hanging up when attempting to upload.... Howard has stated that he doesn't want to address it since the "beta is comming soon"

furthermore, F@H has been running 24/7 on two machines here (to make up for when the DF client craps out) and not so much as a glitch.

Paratima
05-08-2003, 11:58 PM
And if we don't get to it soon, we'll have a perfectly-executing client that no one runs!

The high-rollers are already dropping out to do stuff that's more interesting.

I forget who said it, "A good plan today beats a perfect plan tomorrow."

You'll find my name on the beta site. I just think it's time to get it moving.